Brake self adjusting mechanism disabled.

I have had so much trouble with my rear brakes that I have cut the lever adjusting plate so that there is no contact with the toothed wheel. The toothed wheel can now only be edjusted manually.

Every year i have had to change my rear shoes (always bought the best quality available). The problem was every time I changed the shoes everything would be OK until the self adjusters did their job. They would OVER TIGHTEN the shoes and the brake drums would overheat. I changed every mechanical part connected with the rear brakes including the drums a couple of times and nothing solved the problem.

Now the Adjusting wheel can only be adjusted manually.

Anybody have similar problems?

Vehicle is a 1981 Ford Fairmont, 6 cyl, 200 cu in, auto trans.

I have 9 inch shoes in rear.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Do you have the shoes reversed? In many cases the primary shoe material is longer than the secondary shoe material. The longer shoe always goes towards the rear of the car and the short shoe towards the front.

Happy modeming,

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

My shoes are installed exactly as you state above. I have been given to understand that the shorter shoe which goes to the front is the PRIMARY shoe.

Thanks Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Well if you've replaced the adjuster mechanism I don't see what the problem could be, especially as how you've replaced everything else too.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

That precisely is the enduring mystery!

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Are there grooves on the backing plate? Older cars tend to have grooves worn in from the shoes rubbing there over the years. No way of knowing if this caused your problem but.......

Reply to
Scott M

How often do you change the front pads?

If the answer isn't much, the front brakes may be your real problem. They aren't working, which makes your rear brakes overwork.

Reply to
SWG