Chinese Volvos = what next?

sorry if this isn't news to the group......found this in another:

HANGZHOU, China -- Ford Motor Co. has named Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co. Ltd., a privately-owned Chinese automotive company, as the preferred bidder for Volvo Car Corp.

Geely, having built one of the fastest-growing automotive car companies in China, will now embark on further detailed discussions with Ford, paving the way for a potential acquisition of Volvo that will ensure management independence at the famous Swedish brand.

The announcement follows extensive talks between Geely and Ford. Under the proposed transaction, supported by Chinese banks, Volvo's existing production and R&D facilities, union agreements and dealer networks would be maintained, while Geely would enhance Volvo's access to sales networks and sourcing opportunities in the important Chinese market. The strategy would be led by an independent Volvo management, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden.

link for balance

I fear to comment because I once noted here that the Ford Fusion was really a Mazda 6.....and was told that Ford had designed the Mazda.

BUT......with so many (of their best) products based on the Volvo platform, hate to see Ford divest it.........so go ahead, tell me that Ford really designs all the Volvos........however, the tranny & AWD of my Five Hundred are covered with Volvo/made in Sweden markings....so I hope I can still get Volvomatic fluid.

Have had real Volvos as well and really enjoyed them........""ensure management independence"?........"sourcing opportunities in the important Chinese market"? Yikes.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

In another generation or two everyone will be speaking Chinese.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

And the Mazda 6 is really a Ford Mondeo that Mazda adapted for worldwide use. (Mazda had limited funds at that time for development.) Ford adapted it for the Fusion because it was already Federalized, so that it met US standards.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee

Mazda's B-series trucks have been nothing but rebadged Ford Rangers for the past 15 years.

Reply to
haywood jablomy

And before thatm Ford Rangers were rebadged Mazdas.

Reply to
clare

No, Ford Rangers in the US have never been rebadged Mazdas. You are thinking of the older Ford Courier pickup.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee