Cleaning cloudy plastic headlight covers

The lens clouding is a result of improper maintenance over the years. If the surface damage is not too deep, try some of that stuff they use to clean motorcycles windshields. It is available at any cycle shop. If that doesn't work use a mild compound. If you do get them cleared up, polish them on occasion with a polymer polish to keep them clear.

mike hunt

Alex Devl>

Reply to
MajorDomo

Does anyone know of a way to clean cloudy headlight covers?

My wifes '98 Mercury Mystique has these plastic covers over the headlights and they're cloudy with something covering the top half of them. I've tried a few things to clean them but with no luck. Now it's getting darker earlier and she drives a lot for her work I worry about how bad the lights are. When I drive it at night I can barely see the lights on the road so I'd like to get this fixed for her.

Reply to
Alex Devlin

The subject gets covered here monthly. Do a Google Search for the previous posts but be prepared to purchase a new assembly for best results.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

Reply to
el Diablo

One thing you have to look out for is internal water leakage and condensation. Look at both lens early in the morning after its been cooler. If you see water droplets inside, your probably hosed. WHat happens? the mirror like finish behind the bulb comes off internally and it cuts the projected light output way down. I replaced one of my taurus like this and the other one is starting to go too. Look straight at it in the sun and see if the mirror Finnish looks uniform across the back.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

go to the auto parts place and get plastic cleaner and plastic polish.

Reply to
Scott M

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA I know; it's probably way too expensive,and you don't have any or probably have never used any in your life...... a good toothpaste will buff anything. Too cheep???? By pass all the other garbage products contact elgin, or a tool and die supply and buy diamond compound 4 micron polish. Will it look any different than toothpaste? No

[Loads of BS below]

Here's a site that has a commercial cleaning kit, I can't vouch for it as I've never used it. Might be worth you looking at.

Brian

One thing you have to look out for is internal water leakage and condensation. Look at both lens early in the morning after its been cooler. If you see water droplets inside, your probably hosed. WHat happens? the mirror like finish behind the bulb comes off internally and it cuts the projected light output way down. I replaced one of my taurus like this and the other one is starting to go too. Look straight at it in the sun and see if the mirror Finnish looks uniform across the back.

Bob

Reply to
BeeVee

In addition to what others have posted, you may also want to check out the forums at

They know the Contour/Mystique/Mondey inside-out.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann