1985 headlight assembly

I live in a highly wooded area and I was driving home one night in the rain on a very curvy road. There are lots of deer where I live. I know that if I were to actually hit one, it would probably kill me as my car is so low to the ground and a deer would probably come right through my windsheild. So, on this one particular night in April this year, I swerved to miss a deer and hit a mountain. I was quoted over $2000 for cosmetic repairs and about $500 to replace my headlight assembly and turn signal. I aint rich...so I got a headlight assembly and turn signal lamp from a local auto wrecking yard for $40. I want to install it myself, and I am confident that I can do it if I can get some direction from someone. I am quite mechanically inclined, but my profession is in respiratory therapy and I don't dabble too much in auto mechanics. I can do a lot of things with a car, but with respect to replacing my headlight and turn signal...I am not entirely confident. I understand wiring concepts and have installed dimmer switches, etc. within a home...fixed various electrical items, but I am scared to mess with my car headlight. Time passes so fast and I am afraid that Autum will be on us before we know it and I will need both headlights to be legal...(also, I am a very bad night driver). I drive about 70 kilometers a day to and from my work, and it is important that I get this fixed. As for the fender and hood of my car...I don't care...the car runs perfectly. But I do need my headlight working and I am lucky thusfar not to have been given a "fix-it" ticket. My car is an 85 Subaru GL sedan that I paid $1700 for, so obviously...I don't want to pay over $2000 to make it pretty again, but I do need to fix that headlight. I have invested over $2000 in mechanical maintenance and she runs like a hot dam because I have only cared about and focused on her mechanical health. I chose to do this because I am only the third owner of this car and all the original receipts came with it...so it has been well taken care of. And all Subaru owners know the reputation of Subarus to be good and they are tough, long-lasting cars. This is why I am asking for anyone's advice as to installation of a headlight assembly. I just refuse to pay an auto repair joint $500 and some bucks to make a headlight work. I am hoping that there is someone out there that might be willing to give me some advice or direction about putting the headlight assembly I bought in on my car. I have a 16 year-old mentally challenged son and I have a job that just barely gets me by to pay for basic living expenses and on top of that...I have other expenses like medications for my son and special needs caregiving services. So, I can't afford to pay someone to do this for me...I need some help here. Anyone out there that can assist??? Will be greatly appreciated! Cheers, Buffy37 in Canada

Reply to
Buffy37

Well I'm not specifically familiar with your GL, but this should be no more than a matter of unplugging the connectors from the old light, removing the bolts that hold it in place, bolting the new one in and plugging in the connectors. You will also need to check the aim when you're done and adjust it as necessary with the adjusters on the back of the light.

Reply to
mulder

Additionally, you have the one on the other side as a guide. Worse thing that happens is you end up taking it to a mech anyway - go for it!

Carl

snipped-for-privacy@x.files wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You can change the headlight yourself. I've done it but as it was many years ago, I don't recall all the details. Do recall the harness just unplugs. First have to twist that black ring and the the bulb and everything can be pulled out.

There will be 2 long screws you don't want to turn. One will be directly under the headlight. Difficult to find/see as the bumper will tend to hide it. The other is identical and is located on either the left or right side of the headlight. These 2 screws are used to adjust the headlight. Bottom screw moves the beam up or down and the side screw moves the beam pattern left or right. These 2 screws do not retain the headlight so leave them alone.

What I can't recall is how the headlight is retained. Probably has a trim ring or something. Remove these screws to remove the headlight. There also has to be a spring attached somewhere. The spring will be attached to whatever holds the headlight in place.

Once the new headlight is installed, the beam pattern will probably be off...either too high or low or too far left or right. Use the 2 screws I advised earlier not to touch to make corrections. bottom screw turned inward will lower the beam. Turned outward and the beam pattern will raise.

Just shine the lights at a flat wall with the car about 20 feet away from the wall. Adjust the patten of the new light to mirror the other beam pattern.

Those little screws you will be fooling with are probably very rusty. Spray them WD40 or something like that more a few days before removing them. Also use a quality screwdriver as it is very easy to strip the heads. Then you have to drill. just more needless work.

Hope I haven't confused you too much. Could always visit a local wrecking yard and ask one of the guys to show you how to remove the headlight.

Reply to
johninKY

Hi,

That's about it... I don't remember which headlight ass'y the '85 uses (single or dual headlights) but I know on a '90 w/ the single light, you'll want to pull the center grill so you can find that "last hidden screw" that holds the headlamp "bucket." I assume you got the entire lamp and bucket ass'y from the wreckers? Even if you're only replacing the lamp part (reflector/lens ass'y--the bulb's easy to replace in the car), it's easier on my car to pull the whole thing and work on it out where you have room.

The turn signal ass'y has a "hidden" screw or two, also, but should be easy enough to replace.

And, even w/ a limited budget, a Haynes or Chilton's manual might give you some insight (most are about $22-$25 US in my neighborhood--so I'd guess under $35 CAD? Also, my local library has some of the manuals and occasionally surprises me by having the one I need!)

Best of luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Pretty simple, as long as the surrounding sheet metal isn't bent; about a 10 minute job. The only tools needed are a 10mm socket, extension, and ratchet drive, a phillips screwdriver, and a tape measure.

The headlight assembly is held in with 4 6mm fasteners (10mm heads); seems like there are two nuts and two screws. Access them from the back side (engine compartment). You may wish to remove the battery and charcoal canister for easier access. Can't remember if you need to take the corner light assembly off or not, but it's just a couple screws.

The two longish screws adjust the aim. At dusk, point the car at a wall, with the headlights on HI. Adjust the replacement assy to point at the same height as the other side, and with the spot centers the same distance apart as the lamps. Take the car for a drive, and make any needed adjustments based on the actual beam placement.

I have an '85 GL/RX sedan at home; if the above procedure doesn't seem to work, feel free to contact me directly and I'll have a good look at the headlights on mine and get back to you.

ByeBye! S.