Dead battery - new battery?

I had a problem starting my car one day, jumped it and it wouldn't hold the jump. So, I went and purchased a new one with the correct CCA (not that it matters in AZ). In any event, it started up and I drove it around a little. The next day I went out and the battery was dead. Deader than a doornail. All I got was grinding and clicking.

I did a little research on the forums and newsgroups and went out and purchased an EEC relay and a trickle charger. It took almost 2 days to charge up the battery, but it finally charged. I went to start it and with just 10 seconds of cranking, the battery went dead again. I put it back on the charger and within 10 minutes it was charged. Tried again, same thing. Within 10 seconds (no exaggeration), it was reading dead again.

Is the battery, or is it something on the car. I can not imagine any battery not being able to support a crank for longer than that. YEOW.

Thanks and take care, Sharon

Reply to
<lanesharon

wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

your probley not getting a full charge if it is dead. you need a real charger not a trickle charger when fully dead. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

Just wanted to add one additional thing. I charged up the battery again and never turned put the key in the ignition. I just opened the door and let the interior lights run for a minute. It totally drained the battery. Hopefully someone here can answer my questions. Thanks, Sharon

Reply to
Sharon

Got Wally World to give me a new battery, and I purchased the a new short cable to the solenoid (and eventually to the starter). I took the seven different things that seem to be connected to the stud end of the solenoid (holy cow, never seen that many before) and cleaned them all. Now the car cranks over, but doesn't start. I can not hear the fuel pump, so I will try the fuel pump relay. I would assume the starter is okay, or it wouldn't even crank. Thanks Sharon for the additional advice. It may be a combination of problems that are occurring at one time and I think the cable may have been one.

Take Care, Sharon

Reply to
Sharon