drive through puddle, lose steering

99 windstar 104k.

I assume the surpentine belt is getting wet, I've only experienced this at low speeds like turning into a parking spot but I've lost steering for about

3-5 seconds after going through water. Reason I ask about it is because I've owned the van for about 40k and dont remember this ever happening before. Could it be a sign of needing a new belt or tensioner? I've never replaced either.
Reply to
petebert

Could be the tensioner, the belt, or the splash shield has come loose, exposing the belt to water being splashed up. First thing I'd do is take a peek and make sure the splash shield is still there.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Does it squeal? Mine did when my belt got wet and teh power steering went out. In addition the alternator light came on. I have a Contour, though.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

no it dosnt squeel, I just cant turn the wheel.

Reply to
petebert

I would check the power steering fluid in your power-steering reservoir. I am wondering if it is running low. That might cause power steering problems when you turn hard. Can't hurt to check.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff