E 150 4.2L EGR problem

Hey Gang,

After gettin a previous code of "cylinder misfire #2, I finally got a EGR insuffient flow the other day along with the old code..I pulled #

2plug and it was wet with gas.# 1 was bone dry and looked good...Took it to my mechanic said the EGR ports probably needed to be cleaned and the cost, 270.00$...I dont have the $$$ right now , so I was curious to whether driving it with this problem is actually hurting my motor?...What if I dis-connect the EGR hose? Will that hurt the motor? This is a new jasper motor BTW. My mechanic was kinda vague on both of these points ...Its not runnin that rough really..Seems to have a misfire at 20MPH....Anyway , any help and opinions would be most appreciated...

Thanks, John

Reply to
Banjo KIDD

runnin a wet cyl isnt to good for your engine.

ds549

Hard to imagine how an insufficient EGR flow (if it's even real and not a bad DPFE) might cause your #2 cylinder to be wet and misfire. More likely it's a leaky injector or an ignition problem. And just in case: new engine and all, but has your mechanic even checked compression on that cylinder? In any case, I would recommend not to drive the van in this condition. The unburned fuel may damage your catalytic converter, adding much more than $270 to your cost of repairs.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

IIRC, the 4.2 has ported EGR flow... each cylinder has it's own EGR passage. There have been times when all but one or two EGR ports have carbonned up leaving the engine with insufficient EGR flow but one or two cylinders WITH excessive EGR flow... The resulting mixture dilution can leave enough unburned fuel in the cylinder to wet the plug down.... EGR port concerns are easy to test for - with the engine running, apply vacuum to the EGR valve.... the engine should begin to run very rough or even stall....

Having said that, the DPFE sensor itself has been fairly troublesome... These too can carbon up making the PCM see low EGR flow when, in fact, flow may be normal or even excessive as the PCM increases the duty cycle to the EVRV to compensate...

In the latter case (especially if the EGR system passed the vacuum test), it would be wise to consider looking at compression, possible injector concerns or even ignition system concerns... and yes, waste spark systems can misfire on one cylinder only...

Reply to
Jim Warman