4.2L vrs 3.8L Are they the same?

Hey Gang,

Ive been getting estimates for getting a new motor put in my 99 E 150

4.2L van...I was told by one source that he could locate me a used low mi. 3.8L motor and do the job MUCH cheaper than puttin a Jasper reman 4.2L...He said the 3.8L would fit and probably be a "better" motor...THEN , I go to another souce who says that would be a mistake becuase the computer wouldnt reconize the 3.8L and said the fuel mix and other electrical gagetry wouldnt be right...Anyway, I thought Id get some opinions and advice from you guys...Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John in WV.

Reply to
KIDD

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:36:22 -0700, KIDD rearranged some electrons to form:

Well, obviously they are NOT the same displacement. And, if you do this, you'll probably want the computer and wiring harness from the 3.8L motor.

I'm not sure why you would want a small V6 in a large van, but, hey, to each his own.

Reply to
David M

It depends on the motor in the truck. Is it a speed density EEC or a MAF controlled? Ford used both.

The Essex built 3.8 is a direct physical fit for the 4.1 motor. It's essentially the same but has a shorter stroke than the 4.2. (Different crankshaft)

I'd check around on

or
to see if anyone can give you specific information on such a swap. Most of the sensors and such should bolt up. I'm not sure what you'd need to carry over from the 4.2 though. Also the 3.8 may not be up to duty in the truck. The 4.2 was specific for the truck thus there may be other things internally that make it good there.

If you can pickup a factory supercharged 3.8, those had Forged Cranks (N/A 3.8 and 4.2 are Cast) so they are a bit stouter. But they also used DIS ignition and no balance shaft.

Reply to
Mike H