E85 on older vehicles

Has anybody tried running E85 gas in any vehicles other than the ones on the list of "official" E85-compatible Ford vehicles? Somebody told me that E85 will work just fine in older ones. I have a 1999 Explorer with the SOHC 4.0L V6, and I?d like to know if it will run E85 without any problems, because I could sure use a $0.20/gallon price break right about now.

Reply to
ivorycruncher

Jacob Suter

Just like the current crop of hybrids, it doesn't make sense for your personal econmics (few will ever make up the higher initial price). But, the reduction in crude-oil used has more far-reaching effects.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

You could check your service manual to see if it can use E85.

Otherwise you'll have to make mods to your car. I think you'd need at the very least stainless steel fuel lines and reprogram the computer (easy to do with a resistor in the MAF sensor circuit). I don't know what else, but I figure that I could do the resistor mod to my car and just use junkyard parts to replace things like fuel lines when they break.

Reply to
scott_z500