strange bumping ... tires? other?

After putting 2 new tires put on my 2004 Explorer I started intermittently experiencing a bumping (or thumping, or slipping) feeling that seems to be coming not from the tires but the transmission or around the differential (however, I do not know enough about cars to accurately pinpoint it). I took it to the local dealership and they told me that it might be that the Explorer senses the difference in the tread two sets of tires and this might be the cause. They suggested that I replace the two older tires with the same as the new ones. If that doesn't work they said that they received an "alert" from Ford about frequent repairs of the driveshaft (or something like that). The problem that I have is that the two new tires that I have are no longer being produced and to acquire two additional ones is impossible. So, to test out the first theory will cost about $400.

My question is, does anybody have any thoughts on what the thumping or bumping could be caused by?

Thanks, Bob West Virginia

Reply to
bobsterway

Do you get it all speeds? Can you pinpoint when it occurs during the drive cycle?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

intermittently

differential

Could it be possible that the 2 new tires installed are different size than your other 2? If that is the case, it is possible that maybe your truck senses different speeds that your front tires and back tires are turning, making it think there is a wheel slippage which in turn causes the Auto 4wd to kick in. I don't think different tread has anything to do with it. However a different size tire will.

Reply to
Mikepier