econoline tail lights

My left tail light was replaced - under warranty - because it would fill with water.

Of course it is now out of warranty and the replacement fills up, too.

For the life of me I can't figure out how it is entering the light.

I am inclined towards thinking it is condensation and that I should drill a small hole in the bottom to allow the water to escape. If so, why don't I have the same problem of the passenger's side tail light?

john

Reply to
asadi

Drill the hole. It doesn't matter how it gets in there, you just wanna get it out.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

By way of an update, I just pulled the assembly out. This is a 2000 E-150.

The back-up light socket was just beginning to corrode, the brake light socket looked fine. Dried, cleaned and WD-40ed both.

Used a hair drier to dry the light assembly.

Now, I don't park downhill but there is a slight grade. It is my belief (now-after thorough inspection) the water was pooling in the recesses of the mounting screws, just enough that water would seep in over time. I have made some rubber washers to fit behind the screws and will see how this works. If that is the problem, the heat from the lamps should keep out any condensation.

If that is not the problem, I'm drilling the holes!

John . . . (leather, tow package and all the goodies-boy, did that salesman see me coming).

Reply to
asadi

Fill the tail light up with water, cover the socket openings and turn it over to see if it seeps out a hairline crack at the top of the housing. Sometimes where the red lens and the back part are hot melted ( or glued ) together, seperate. Put silicone sealer on it to seal it. Also I'd grease the socket and the bottom of the bulb instead of using WD - 40.

every car I've owned had drain holes in the bottom of the tail light assemblies.

Good luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Thanks Harry.

Reply to