NC Leaking into boot (trunk)

Hi Guys, I've a 2005 NC Limited Edition. Just recently I've noticed that after a hearty wash, that I have a puddle of water in the *trunk*. Never seemed to happen before when washing on the same gentle slope facing uphill so wondering if there may be some drain blocked around the soft top, or if a seal between top and body has opened up? Any ideas appreciated before I start pulling things apart to have a look.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

Miata soft tops have drains on each side of the car in the top well. They may be clogged if you get a lot of crud etc from trees and so forth, and the car is parked outside. Or, the nose up angle allows water to collect in the well, instead of going out through the drains. In eather case, when the car is again on level ground, and the drains cannot take the water fast enough, you may end up with a squishy carpet.

Reply to
Chuck

I've found that a single tine from a large metal leaf rake is exactly the right shape and length to clear those drains from the top. Clearing from the bottom can lead to a faceful of *nasty* slime/water/leaf mold.

With the top down, look behind the seat belt tower, towards the front of the area toward the door. The drain is down in there.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Washing the car this morning so I'll try that first and see how we go. I'm surprised that the drains could be blocked as the car is always garaged and would not have often spent any time sitting under trees?

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

Anything that starts on the roof, or on the back window, ends up in the drain eventually. Right now all of the maple trees are blooming and all that little red crap (pollen and such) gets on everyone's cars. Add in a nice soaking rain and there's bound to be red crap in the drains.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

I have a 2006 NC, that I have owned about a year, and when it rains hard the trunk and passenger side floorboard floods. I bought the drain brush and cleaned out the drains thinking this was the problem. It rained hard again the other day and flooded once more. The drains holes are clean, but there is a rubber flap at the very bottom of the drain hole under the car that is getting stuck and not opening when the drain fills up. I need to get under the car and figure out why it is not opening, but that may be the same problem you are having.

Reply to
Raover

Maybe, I did clear the drains and watched very carefullu as virtually no dirt or other debris came out. I gently flushed both and still no debris. Washed the car and had no problem but if it happens again, I will look at the flaps to see if they are stuck. Thanks!