Gunky water

I was checking the car over yesterday and went to fill up the radiator. I noticed the water was quite gunky, mucky and also noticed some guey stuff on the cap i removed. Anyone know whats causing this? There wasnt a lot on the cap only a small ammount but the water was very cloudy Its a renault espace 2.1 turbo diesel.

thanks

Reply to
Elite

Failed/failing head gasket probably. Is there similar gunk on the dipstick or the oil filler cap?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

No absolutely not. I checked them both and they are clean as a whistle. Its just the radiator water cap.

how much is it to get a head gasket done on an espace? thanks si

Reply to
Elite

Whats your driving like - If you only do short journeys, then hopefully it's only condensation with the engine not heating up enough. However, if you do lots of motorway driving, and still have 'mayonnaise' then it could be more serious. (Head gasket time). Run it with the coolant lid off (cold) and see if there are any bubbles in the coolant.

Graham

Reply to
Graham2

We moved about 3 months ago and have gone from doing 2000 miles a month, to about 200 miles. The 2000 were not motorway miles though. We did about a hundred miles a day, five days a week. Now we do nothing like it, and its mainly round town not getting over 30.

So take the lid off and run it, for how long? And i will let you know the outcome, thanks

Reply to
Elite

"Elite" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Don't run it as in drive it like this. Warm the engine with the cap off, and gun it a couple of times to see if bubbles appear in the water. Door open with foot on accelerator while peering at expansion tank type of thing. If you knew this already, ignore me. :-)

Reply to
Tunku

"Elite" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

This would show "mayonaisse" in the oil filler cap and under the rocker cover, and not a problem with the water, if condensation through low mileage is the problem.

Reply to
Tunku

Tunku wrote in news:Xns990B6DA68849stuartggraydslpipexc@216.196.109.145:

@mid.individual.net:

It may just be that it's time to drain and refill with fresh water/antifreeze.

Reply to
Tunku

I didnt know. I havent a clue about cars. I will try draining and refilling. Is it just a case of letting the water out the bottom and filling it back up again? Oil cap is clean. So could it be condensation or more likely head gasket? thanks

Reply to
Elite