EEC covers up problems

the computer controls are so adaptable they can mask minor problems. I bought a 97XR7 that i love the car has always run very well. The gas mileage was around 14.5 to 16 depending on the week and how and where i drove. This week on a whim i pulled the number 5 plug (front on drivers side) easiest to get at. OH MY GOD. the center electrode was no existent.I pulled the rest on the drivers side gaps all ranged from .095 to bigger than my guage. Several calls to auto parts stores to find motorcraft double platinums (recommended replacement according to ford) paid $4.30 each. finished the job. what a difference the car will now chirp tires on dry level road. gas mileage is now around 19-20 (haven't run through the full tank yet!!) however now with all cylinders firing all the time car started to overheat. had to change thermostat (also original) I guess my point is that the flexability in the computer will keep a car running and mask what used to be obvious. Add that to the good ride and extensive sound deadening some problems don't really manifest like they used to. So add some diagnostics to the usually routine maintainence. Also drive the wifes/Kids car occansionally because most times they are clueless until the car quits running.

Reply to
walt peifer

Don't expect the computer to tell you the car needs routine maintenance. That's what the owner's guide/mainenance schedule is for. Until the computer is designed measure the gap on the plugs, plan on checking that yourself periodically.

Happy motoring!

Reply to
sleepdog

Reply to
Ted Lagonikos

EECs didn't "mask" anything. A non-EEC car wouldn't have preformed any differently because of your bad maintenance. :)

Reply to
Shoe Salesman