Series engine problems - won't rev up

Anyone got any ideas on this?

2.25 3brg 8:1 Series IIa/III engine, Weber carb, Lucas dizzy (late type)

All of a sudden, it rev limits itself to about 3500rpm. No problems with pulling power, accelleration etc etc, just cannot get the engine to rev above. Increased throttle just produces a bit more noise, together with occasionall sputtering back through the carb. Just been out today to check points/gap/coil etc. Coil seemed to be earthing a bit, so i've changed it for another one, seems to run a little better, but still rev limiting. Can't find any other faults with the igition system, advance, fuel supply fine - it doesn't jump and stutter like it's fuel starvation, I've had that before and it isn't like this.

It's like someone's fitted a rev limiter overnight while i wasn't looking. I havn't done plugs/compressions yet, but i suspect these will turn up normal too. Apart from it's customary regular cough at the exhaust pipe at idle (it's had this for ages, like it's missing every now and then) it seems to be absolutly fine.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

My car was feeling dead and unwilling to rev much last week. This weekend I did the points (as you have) and regapped my plugs (which were well over spec) and cleaned up the rotor arm.

This seems to have bought it back to life. I think that you might as well check your plugs since youve done everything else!.

Other times that i've had trouble revving it have been down to the timing being out and carb issues (its on LPG now so i've just removed the whole of the carb innards..)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Blocked exhaust?

Reply to
EMB

I.d check the distributor advance/retard with a timing light. If not , then possible fuel blockage.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I had one like that in the workshop over the weekend - a Series 2A with a Weber carb. After replacing plugs, points, condensor, distributor cap and rotor arm (they all needed doing anyway), and blowing through all the carb jets with compressed air, all with very little improvement, I swapped the carb for an old Zenith I had lying around, and the problem was fixed. My guess is that there is a big lump of crud somewhere in the carb body, between the main jet and the venturi. You might have the same problem.

Richard

Reply to
glencoyne

I wish I could do the timing with a light, but it's a IIa block and it doesn't have the pointers on the front, only the markings on the flywheel.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

glencoyne uttered summat worrerz funny about:

If that doesn't sort it check your mat hasn't got jammed under the pedal. BTDTGTTS.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Can't you statically set the engine to the correct position (say TDC and the static timing) and put suitable and convient marks at the front somewhere?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Paint on the marks, timing light, and strategically placed mirror then.

Reply to
EMB

On or around 5 Dec 2005 11:42:13 -0800, "glencoyne" enlightened us thusly:

I had loads of fun once with an apparently perfectly clean carb from a 2.5 petrol. eventually found that there was solidified crud right at the very bottom of the float chambers, in a bit where you can't see it easily, under the bit where the feed to the main jets goes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I don't get it.. why would this stop you using a lamp?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Partly because the timing marks on the flywheel are designed for static use, not dynamic use, and partly because you can't even see the marks with the bulkhead in place.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yup, recall seeing the plate on Percy now all those years ago. Is is not feasible to cut an inspection hole in the footwell?

Simple enough to replate it after.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

And how pray tell is a mark for static timing different from a mark for dynamic timing? If I static time my IIa then check it dynamically it's still reading the same!

Reply to
EMB

On or around Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:30:38 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

probably is on a IIA, at idle. some engines have different timing settings for static and dynamic, of course.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:53:35 +0000, Alex scribbled the following nonsense:

had this on my old S3, changed the points and condenser and it went away

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I had this problem once, tried for ages, put a new engine in even. Turned out to be jammed linkage, it would only move so far ...

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Could it not be a timing problem them? How do you know that the timing is correct?

You should be able to find TDC by watching the pistons (remove the plugs and feel the piston movement with a pencil). Then a blob of paint on the pulley should be close enough to at least check the timing and the advance/retard against revs.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff