Electrical Problems - 1999 V6 Mustang

Hello all you experts out there. I got a little problem with my Mustang that has been slowly developing. It started awhile ago when the car would not hold a charge after it hadn't been driven in a few days or the weather dropped really cold. (I live in New York.) Then the fan switch on the climate control settings would only work on the highest setting. Recently, the car won't even hold a charge overnight so I've had to use a portable battery to get it started. Today, I took it out for a little spin and mid-trip all of the dash lights suddenly came on, the car sputtered, and the then the theft light started flashing for the entire ride home. (Luckily it didn't stall out or anything.) When I attempted the use my keyless entry to lock the car it wouldn't even recognize it. I checked the obvious things like replacing the battery and checking all of the terminals for corrosion and everything looks good on that end. Does anyone know where I can start for troubleshooting it or should I just take it to the local dealer?

On another note, that may or may not be related, the brakes seem awfully weak too. I have to push it all the way down and the Mustang has nowhere near the stopping power it had before. I checked the pads and brake fluid and they check out ok as well.

Thanks for any advice that anyone can give me, I could really use it right about now.

Reply to
DevilPaul

Start by checking alternator voltage output & state-of-battery charge. Use a separate voltmeter from the factory one (if the car even has one). It should read 12.4 to 12.8 volts on the battery with the ignition OFF, AT LEAST 13.0 volts with engine idling, and NO MORE than 15.2 volts on the highway. Ideal voltage is somewhere between 13.8 & 14.7 volts.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Sorry to hear about your problems.... it would be much simpler to have addressed the original problem in a timely manner rather than waiting for it to turn ito a laundry list.

It almost sounds like the battery went bad... continuing to use the car has probably eaten the alternator. Operating some accessories at lower than designed voltage can damage those accessories.

Start with a proper AVR test ( a shop will have to do this unless you have access to some specialized equipment). The battery terminals NEDD TO BRE CLEAN (shiney) AND TIGHT!!! Fix the main problem before going on to the next... often, curing one problem can cure others.

The brake problem will be a different concern. Your car is a machine..... as a machine it will need regular care and maintenance. Without regular inspections and service, your car can turn into a death machine in a heartbeat or a worthless pile of junk in short order. I would hazard a guess that your car is the most expensive thing you have ever bought.... you would be well served to look after it like it was the most expensive thing you've ever bought.

On another note, that may or may not be related, the brakes seem awfully weak too. I have to push it all the way down and the Mustang has nowhere near the stopping power it had before. I checked the pads and brake fluid and they check out ok as well.

Thanks for any advice that anyone can give me, I could really use it right about now.

Reply to
Jim Warman