Escort 93 problem - please help

Hiya to the knowledgable of the newsgroup

I have a escort mk5 (93). My problem is that the car has developed a "noise". This noise is related to the wheel speed, and NOT the engine speed. The sound can be best described as a rotational whir, occuring at the same point on the its circumfrence. As the wheel speed increases, so does the noise. It gets to the point where it becomes unbearable at 70 miles an hour, and I can feel vibration in the floorboard of the car. This does not affect the steering driving in a straight line, however, if at speed you accelarate / decellarate, the steering pulls to one side for increased speed, and to the other for decreased speed. The vehicle has just undergone its MOT (yearly inspection). It had a wish bone replaced on one side, but not the other. if i drive at 60 mph, adn then disengage the gears, or drive with the clutch depressed, the sound remains. i have had two new tyres ( balanced and tracked) put on. i have tried changing the tyres (rotating) to no avail. I have checked under the car for obvious signs of rubbing (friction), and there was no sign at all. i took the car back to the garage for their advice and they were stumped and wanted to " try" replacing parts left right and centre (hit and miss approach)..... I have my own feelings on the problem but I am NO mechanic and would appreciate advice.. I think the drive shaft on the drivers side may be worn / bent, and is causing rotational vibration.. Can this happen . The garage said that all wheel bearings were fine and did not need replacing. the fact that the steering is affected by increasing and decreasing the acceleration tells me it is related to the drive shaft. Could low power steering fluid be the problem????

i am stumped!!! The car is a beauty to drive besides this noise, and I am scared to take it to the garagesas they seem to want to replace all and sundry parts.... I do not have a lot of money and would like to pay for the job to be done by a garage, with the knowledge that xxx could be the problem..

Thanking you Tony

Reply to
tony

Is it the rear of the front?

Did this noise start just after the wish-bone replacement? It sounds to me that they might of muscled some of the bearings back during the installation.

"tony" wrote in message news:bisa33$mig$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk... Hiya to the knowledgable of the newsgroup

[...]

<Newsmanager

If it is the bearing, it would cause one wheel to have more friction than the other. This would make the car pull to that side all the time whether you were accelerating, cruising, or slowing down. It sounds more like its in the transmission. Which side is pulling ahead? The side that had the replacement or the old side?

Reply to
Anthony Q. Bachler

tony opined in news:bisa33$mig$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

You say "whir" yet you say it's related to circumference.

Could you be more specific.. could it be a high speed thump?

Bad tires often cause this.

INCLUDING the "pulling" effect.

Swap tires front to back to see if indications change

Have someone drive alongside and look at both wheels for minor "jumping" or up down motion..

Or find a tire shop that does road-force balancing. (tire under force against a roller at speed)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined in news:Xns93E8B3F9C9545BkMch6d@216.168.3.44:

In fact the MORE I consider it, the more I think that's what it is... under some conditions, creates the "hum" or "whir" as well.

80% likely to be a bad tire - tyre to you.

;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

funny enough yes.... i took it back to them and they sais the other wishbone was " worn" but they let it pass the MOT..... mmmm ... They also stated it "was not" the bearing, but I think you may be right Thanx for the help Tony

approach).....

Reply to
tony

it pulls first to the side that had the replacement wishbone fitted ..... and then returns.... The pull is not drastic, but as the speed increases, it becomes mre noticeable in the form of drifting ... at times if you are not concentrating, the sudden movement can give you a scare

regards Tony

Reply to
tony