90 Tempo stalls after start

I have a 1990 Tempo 2.3L-auto, fuel injection. When the weather starts to turn cooler, my Tempo starts fine but then after about 5-10 seconds it quickly idles down then stalls. After restarting it is fine. It seems like it is temporarily running out of gas. It is tuned up every year. (fresh plugs, cap rotor, pcv..) and I have regular oil changes.

Does this sound like a fuel pump issue?

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Greg opined in news:0Ln4b.1105$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

No.. not if it runs fine all other times.

But you might try running the fuel pump a couple times before cranking, (sw ign on and off a few times) see if symptoms change or go away.

EGR problems are typical on that car.

See if any stored codes come out.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It is hard to say since this car has got all sorts of problems even when new.

Reply to
John

Check to see if there is an Idle Air Control (IAC)valve motor.. The symptoms you mentioned suggest a bad IAC.

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

Learn to do this by going to

and checking out the trouble code section. Scanning your car isn't as easy as a Chrysler from the same era, but it's not hard. And it's a WAY better scan to boot.

You'll be happy you learned how after you do....... No more guessing.

Reply to
Clem