Escort Speedometer problem

95 Escort needs new speedometer. Local service place says Ford doesn't make a replacement anymore and says it's illegal to put a junkyard one in because it would be odometer tampering. If the replacement is set to the same mileage as the broken one, how is that tampering? Does this man simply not want the job? Fortunately it has a tach so I can estimate speed.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

You can retitle it as EML (exceeds mechanical limits) or indicate a defective odometer on the title when you sell it. It is not uncommon to replace odometers.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Heck, it's already exceeded the mechanical limits twice. The present speedometer assembly is from a 93 Escort that was in a junkyard and the previous service place didn't have a problem with replacing it. Additionally, I think the Ford dealer I bought the car from set the odometer back. They told me it was a one owner car and after buying it I had lots of problems, ran it through Carfax and learned it had been a rental car in another State. No one knows the real mileage. The problem now is how to convince a service place to replace it with one from a junkyard.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Well, the local mechanic is worried about liability. It's understandable in this day and age. A used replacement is NOT illegal as long as it's documented. If it were mine, I'd check the local junkyards for one with similar mileage. I wouldn't feel bad about one with 10K in either direction. 15K or more may be pushing it, in my opinion. If more than 10-12K just make sure you disclose it if you ever sell the car.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

How do you know its the speedo ??

Escorts have a lot of problems with the ground battery cable thats corroded It holds , among other things, the grounds for the PCM .

Inspect the battery ground , don't just look at it but take it apart and clean it, also clean the connectors that is attached to the ground clamp

if needed , cut the connector block off and connect the wires directly to the clamp with new connectors

Reply to
JohanB

I know it's the speedo because it's the old mechanical type with a cable from the transmission. When I'm going 10 mph, the speedo reads 80 mph. Nothing electronic about it. Odometer works ok.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Cool......

Reply to
JohanB

Ive seen some speedos that the odo is seperate. this means on those you can put the old odometer in your new speedo with its correct mileage. I have no idea if yours is like that but just a thought.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Ask the Salvage Yard guys if they know someone that can install it for you. They usually have a line on "Yard Bird" techs that work at home. They may even be able to lead you to an independent tech that will install it for you.

honestly..... you should have thought of that already.

~:~ Marsh Monster ~:~

Reply to
MarshMonster