flashing OD light

i have a 96 windstar and the OD light on the end of the shifter is flashing,some time ago when this happened for a couple of days straight the fluid got so hot it spilled over the front seal and the van lost 5 quarts,upon filling it again it was okay,the trans is slipping a little in first,upon a slow start it shifts okay but a sudden quick start it will hang up in first longer then it should before shifting,since the time the fluid spilled(about a month ago)the OD light went out after that,a couple of times it flashed about 10 seconds or so,now tonight it came on again and once again is staying on flashing.upon starting the van if you go to 1st,then 2nd before putting it in drive the light will come on only when you put it in drive, the van doesn't need to roll forward as soon as you put it in drive the light starts blinking.till i turn the engine off to restart it again,i drove it around awhile and pulled the dipstick,the fluid is up and is warm but not super hot,like it must have been when it spilled past the seal(it caught fire then it was so hot)i checked the cooler flow to and from the radiator(it was pumping quite well,about a qt.every 20 or so seconds)i changed filter and fluid to no avail.it scares me to drive it with the light flashing since it got so hot before and lost the fluid,one person tells me that it might be the shift solinoids,another says there is high pressure in it,another says something electrical is triggering the light. any suggestions please besides take it in for a $2000 repair, thanks

Reply to
res0ta8b

a flashing od light means it has a transmission problem.. if you dont know electronics or transmisstions.. you should go get it fixed...

there are places that will do it cheaper then 2k

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

Since it's a 2 wheel drive vehicle your neighbor will do it for $850..... right? Bob

Reply to
Bob

Actually, 2K for a rebuilt with Torque convertor installed with warranty is not out of line. Cheap ? NO, But typical.

Some places might quote a lower price, but will low ball the price without "hard parts". Once its out of the car apart they got you by the balls. And you can bet it will always need some.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Reply to
Thomas Moats

You are exactly right, I was just busting Kens balls for posting the following earlier:

and it is a trans problem... at most it would cost 850$ if you went to the guy by me... however.. since I dont think the whole thing needs to be rebuilt... i say it would be less...

no assumption about it... I know what the running price of rebuilding a trans is.... I know that doing only sections of it must cost less.

Reply to
Bob

Most likely,... if he doesnt then i guess none of us can beleive his slogan

Thanks,

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

youre such a ball buster.. fun to post to the newsgroups with...

Ken

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr