Ford fan question

Hi guys,

The fan inside my Scorpio '96 doesn't work any more. Suddenly, one day it wasn't possible to turn on. I kept it in "Auto" mode most of the time, but no speed will work either. I also noticed the indicator for the air - if it's circulating or taking in new air, doesn't light any more. So, what can be wrong, I've checked all the fuses under the hood, and all seems ok. The A/C is still working, and I can't see anything else that doesn't. Maybe there is some overload protection somewhere that needs to be reset? (O/C resistor and such)

Any advice is appreciated,

Regards Stefan

Reply to
Razor's Edge

fords have a heater resistor block.. its in the heater box on the floor between the two front passengers... you get to it from the outside of the box in most cases by removing a screw or two.. on some fords you have to take off the return air vent down on the floor... and its right infront of the fan blade.. its a block about 2 by 2 inches that has several wire coils on it that acts like resistance to reduce the speed of the fan.. if one coil burns out then you loose that speed... the fastest speed is the full 12 volts and you dont have a coil of resistance... it might just be a loose plug?????

Reply to
jim

jim opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@noname.com:

It's a Skorpio

If it's a Climate Control, (has a digital display, plus 'auto' and infinite fan settings) it doesnt have a resisor block... it has a drive transistor which is probably bad.

See if you can find the blower wires and verify "no 12volt" on those wires when you have the fan on hi.

If so it's in the control module.

Best fix is used from a scrapper.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Razor's Edge opined

No, I meant the climate control module.

Doesnt matter... past postings here (and yours and my own experience with high production volume DC inductive load circuits) would suggest that the drive transistor is the likely culprit.

But the best way to fix it would be replacement from a scrapped car.

To prevent it happening again, I'd use the old .1 ufd/100 ohm filter across the blower leads.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You probably just have a bad power lead to the fan blower. Most likely the positive lead. You can get a new set of leads and splice in. You can try a jumper from another 12 volt source to check.

-- javatek?@usa.com

Reply to
Redd