Ford Fiesta 2005 - Securilock system?

Hi!

I have a 2005 Fiesta and was wondering about the Ford Securilock system - is this used in all modern Fords?

I was wondering where I might find detailed information on how the keys work and do they contain a power source or are the transponders totally passive (I think they might be made by Texas Instruments...)?

How resiliant are keys with transponders - i.e. will they survive a night in a puddle for example? If they have a battery how long will this last?

cheers!

Reply to
gavin

I'm assuming you are in the "owd coontry" (pardon the spelling but us ex-Yorkshire lads are so good we don't need spelling)...

If I'm not mistaken, I'd have to say that your Securilock is the same as our PATS (there is a "chip" in the handle of the key)... I understand that Ford may be discontinuing steering column locks because the PATS system is good enough that they can....

If we are comparing apples to apples, the chip in the key is, AFAIK, unpowered. The chip is some sort of crystal (this is probably an understatement) that resonates in an induced magnetic field.

If we are in the habit of storing our keys in a puddle overnight, there is a chance that we may not be smart enough to possess a driver licence....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Which may be so, SECURILOCK (PATS) is hard to defeat. But surely, mechanical locks help keep the car from being simply pushed\pulled away. Towing on a flat bed is another matter.

That's exactly right, as I'm sure you know. Though there's no crystal involved, just a bit of precious metal and a coil of very fine wire. It resonates when near the coil around the ignition cylinder. If it resonates "right" the car will start.

Sadly, most PATS keys are inherently watertight just enough that this is not a concern, thus lending to the continuing need for the local constabulary to help keep such folk in check...

Reply to
Tom Adkins

heehee! ok fair point :-) the puddle scenario was only um....theoretical...honest!

In all seriousness though, thanks for the info!

Reply to
gavin