Can't believe Ford isn't bring this here?

charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Looks like a great car, excellent handling, a turbo 5 cyl, and only in = Europe? This is why the domestics are getting killed.

Brad and Karen

There can be many reasons why a Euro offering isn't available in North America... perhaps emissions requirements are difficult to meet or CAFE standards are a concern (manufacturers can pay penalties per car to allow some exceptions... I am unsure if there are any caps placed on these exceptions - or, I understand, they can use "credits" from vehicles that comply to help "fund" vehicles that don't... again, I am unsure if there is a "cap").

Safety is a big thing... the ill-fated 2 seat T-bird wasn't offered with fog lamps (caution - this is anecdotal) because the fog lamps would break in a 5MPH frontal impact and this screwed up the safety rating...

Tooling... is there a chance that the dies and such used to create north american engines haven't "paid for themselves"... just throwing out a rhetorical question, there.

Is there a chance that some of the Euro engines require special assembly techniques or considerations? Ones that can't be trusted (poor choice of terms but flame away) to North American assembly lines. Importing these powerplants may not be viable because of trade limitations...

Something rarely considered... Europeans spend a lot of money servicing their cars... In England, the MOT has a lot to say about what goes on the roads and what doesn't... While southeast asia and the middle east continue to amuse and amaze us with what is considered reasonable.. the western world doesn't appear to be quite as tolerant.. certainly not even as tolerant as we can be...

In this light, perhaps these engines are a tad high strung and require a little more TLC than the iron we drive every day.... I have no problem showering 20 or more hours into a 500 inch 69 Dodge so that we might drive it for 4 or 5 hours in a year.... but my daily driver better be ready, willing and able to go where I want, when I need

<mechanic

Would anybody here pay $30,000 for a Focus in the US. The top of the line Focus on the UK Ford site is about 17,500 pounds before the VAT and is equivalent to over $25,000. The pricing for the RS isn't available on the website.

Mark M

Mark M

I see from Mechanic's post there are reasons why this car might not be immediately avaiable west of the Atlantic, but, people pay high dollar for Japanese cars of the same ilk. Let's face it, our Mustangs are not keeping Ford in business - unless you count the 6 cyl. This car reminds me of the Focus SVT. (Why Ford doesn't make this car anymore amazes me.) I have a 93 Cobra I spend more time with than my wife. But like Mechanic says, I also have a 2006 Lincoln and 2003 Honda that better start *everytime* I crank it over - a sporty little car with some guts and good fuel economy, that you *don't* have to maintain is just what Ford needs to battle the Japanese cars. This is the most important segment of the industry and the Big 3 don't have much to offer here. Cars like this could change that. IMHO.

Brad

Mark M

Brad and Karen

HI Brad and All, I agree to some degree, but one model wouldn't change the issue, what Ford needs to do is a better Focus line period. It has to build the bread and butter cars first then the enthusiast cars would follow. You made the point about the 6cyl Mustang, with out it the GT,Cobra and GT500's wouldn't exsist. The SVT focus was a cool car and I have driven one before, but look at the sales numbers and it didn't make a dent in the bottom line, just like the Civic and Civic SI. It's not us enthusiasts that count its the people who don't care about cars, people who buy transportation appliances. I have a 2005 Legend Lime Mustang GT and that feeling behind the wheel can't be matched.

Happy New Year, Mark

Brad

Mark M

Mark M

"Mechanic"s post??? I guess I could have changed my display name sooner....

I'm a poor judge of what Fords "bread and butter" might be.... I just looked out my front door window... I can see 8 houses, not including mine. I can see 10 light trucks, not including mine, three minivans, two cars and two crossovers...

This is the Alberta oil patch... We are fat-assed affluent (those that apply themselves, anyway). Everybody owns at least one "work truck" - this may or may not be the "toy truck". Some consider a diesel Excursion a grocery getter...

I could have gotten a Focus for my loving bride to use as her "gadabout". Our son is "all growed up" so there is nothing to consider there - why go with a Focus when a V6 Mustang convertible is only a few bucks more?

I feel Mark is quite right when he states that one vehicle just isn't going to win the war....

To take it a step further.... I don't believe that there are any "backbone of the fleet" cars left...

If I consider myself a "typical" baby boomer... I'm the guy with disposable income (even if my retirement plan is in a shambles)... A Flex isn't 'me'... neither is an Edge nor a TaurusX... I 'need' a truck - I'm doing home renos.... I go to the landfill... I tow my holiday trailer... a couple of times, I hauled my scooter (AAAKKK!!).. more than a few time, number one son hauled his quad. A truck is a "manly" thing to own... especially when you can prove it is "needed".

But one reason it is needed (the truck) is because a Mustang... especially a Mustang convertible... just doesn't look right with a trailer hitch...

When I make my rare trips to Edmonton (in the summer), I notice that the convertible drivers aren't usually the.....errrrrmmmmmm younger folk.

So.... while I can prove I "need" a truck.... I have one because, in the end, I WANT one... FWIW, I pull up to the gas pump, fill it up, swallow hard and pay the bill.... I do not complain, I have made my choice.

While I can prove I need a car, I cannot prove that it "needs" to be a convertible... nor a Mustang.... nor 4.0 liters instead of 2.0 liters.

Something none of us have considered to this point... which vehicles are the ones earning the highest profit margins? Hmmmmmm

Points to ponder.... this is about where somebody is going to chime in.... They will make us scroll all the way to the bottom and they will complain about two things. First complaint will be the top posting fartsack sumbiatch... the second will be about using HTML... Welcome to 2009....

Brad

Mark M

Jim Warman

The truck argument is legit. I recently gave up my Bronco (1980 - just too old now) and it's brutal not being able to do the things I'd like or need to without a truck. The rearfold seats on my Zephyr (Fusion) or the wife's CRV just don't cut it. And I did have a 91 LX 5.0 ragtop until it was stolen, and I'll tell you, that was the most fun car I've ever owned.

Speaking of profit, I am told the trucks and Lincolns offer the highest return. The new MKS is an awesome car and should bring in buyers. I wrote to a reviewer in the National Post (I'm in Calgary) who reviewed the car and said it was good, but not "world class" and compared it to Audi and Mercedes. I told him for $50,000, it isn't meant to be world-class and he should have mentioned in this review that Consumer Reports most recent predicted reliability rankings only gave 6 Mercedes models an "average" or better rating and Audi finally got "average" or better after 6 years of being below average. Opps, forgot to mention that. They also said Ford is compariable to "good" Japanese cars. Opps again Mr. Post writer. Further, wanna see what Ford can do world class with a high price point, see the Ferrari-kicking GT.

It's not that Ford can't make great cars, but their direction seems lost. Focus or GT, you can buy both at the same place. Ford needs to figure out what it is. A perfect example of that is my Zephyr - after one year they changed the name to MKZ. Like, is anyone awake at Ford? Where is the longterm planning? GM tried to be everything to everyone and is circling the drain. They make the self-exploding SunFire and the BMW 5-series ass-kicker $100,000 CVS Caddy or whatever it is. I just don't understand...

Brad

"Mark M" wrote in message news:gjqjg7$de9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

HI Brad and All, I agree to some degree, but one model wouldn't change the issue, what Ford needs to do is a better Focus line period. It has to build the bread and butter cars first then the enthusiast cars would follow. You made the point about the 6cyl Mustang, with out it the GT,Cobra and GT500's wouldn't exsist. The SVT focus was a cool car and I have driven one before, but look at the sales numbers and it didn't make a dent in the bottom line, just like the Civic and Civic SI. It's not us enthusiasts that count its the people who don't care about cars, people who buy transportation appliances. I have a 2005 Legend Lime Mustang GT and that feeling behind the wheel can't be matched.

Happy New Year,

Mark

Happy New Year to you and everyone else as well!!! Love the color of your car, wish they kept it around longer however it will be more of a collector this way. I want to comment on your opinion if you don't mind. First the SVT Focus was a nice smart idea. I believe it did not reach it's potential because they were overpriced and underperformed. If they changed just one of those factors people might be able to justify buying one. For instance increase the performance and people might justify the price or lower the price some more and people might overlook the subpar performance. Next, it is not the fleet cars, or average cars that get people into the showrooms. Many auto manufacturers will use the flagships to get the people in the door and then sell them one of the more affordable choices. For example, many BMW fans look at the M series and buy the cheaper base models that are not as well made. Same with the Mercedes AMG. They thrive on the reputations of the flagships. How many people buy the fake emblems that are wannabe's btw? I remember when I was 16 years old I wanted the Mustang GT and had to settle for an older 4 cylinder model before I could get the funds or insurance for the more powerful 8 cylinder, besides proving I was responsible enough to own one.

Imo Ford's problem is and has been poor management. Ford needs to treat every car in its line up as if it was their bread and butter no matter how many units are sold. Stop thinking there is a World car they can cut and paste from one country to the next sharing design and manufacturing to save money and my biggest peeve dont change the names of legendary icons to gimmicks like naming Ford cars starting with the letter "F" like Fusion/ Focus/ Five Hundred or Mercury's with the letter "M" Mariner/ Milan or acronyms so foreign buyers can better grasps their names. We don't need the alphabet soup system to name cars. I loved the idea of a Zephyr back in Lincolns line up, MKZ might as well be WTF. Make it profitable to sell smaller volume cars as well as mass produced this way you can afford to make more models that people may want versus fewer that all look the same. They produce something very successful and then raise the prices to raise profits versus making a better car that people would buy. Great example the Ford Taurus since introduction back in 1986 was a number one seller for so many years. In 1996 they did a poor job with the newer model and charged more for less of a car. Now Ford will be reintroducing the small subcompact Fiesta. Could you imagine if they decided to make it a hybrid of some sort? The MPG would be insane and take back many buyers from Toyota and Honda for sure if and only if they make it reliable and aFordable! Oh and then don't forget to make a newer SHOGUN version of it too, hehe. One last comment. Ford needs to stick to a game plan and be the best at what they do by constantly improving themselves being the leader rather then playing catch up looking at what others are doing. Make the Ford line up cheap affordable energy conscious vehicles for the masses. Mercury for performance, specialty cars, and test marketing products, and Lincoln what a luxury car should be, need I say more. Rant/ off.

Nick :)

Reply to
ND

I think it is just priced to high for what the American market is used to. Little FWD hatch backs need to cost 18K not 36K. And that is where the problem lies. I for one just don't want to spend the bucks for something so "economical". The Europeans tend to have have a different set point for perceived value.

Recently sold my 97 probe GTS and replaced it with a 2008 Mustang GT. The amazing thing is, that Mustang gets the same Highway MPG as the probe did. I am relearning how to drive a RWD car again. I had forgotten how nice it feels to be able to add power in a curve and feel the car bite in instead of washing out. I am so done with FWD cars.

Reply to
Columbotrek