ford sapphire

I have a 1990 sapphire with a eec-iv efi system and with new only unleaded petrol available in RSA , my car started to jurk when first riding in morning's ( summer here) or after a long stand "about 3 hours" . checked all connectors I could find cleaned them. after driving for about 5-10 minutes or 4 km car go as per normal no jurking- in a carb model it would seem that the choke is not used or the timing is wrong.

Also about 6 months ago the car started idle uneven going between 800 too 1500 rpm when idling but very intermittend -cleaned the airflow sensor / air bypass sensor, did not help.

and just to mention had the engine overhauled just before christmas.

Any suggestions or where the self test plug is?

anton

Reply to
anton

the self test plug is the black 3 pin connector near to the battery . plug the test eqt' into here and you'll able to get some fault codes

(you are from the UK arnt you?) i'm assusuming this is a sierra sapphire?

Reply to
ford_technical_

if its like any of north american fords clean the throttle plates... they are designed to allow some air bypass and when they get dirty the IAC opens to wide and cause uneven idle probs and stalling

Reply to
fireater

No I am in South africa, everything here when you buy spares it is most of the time " sierra" spares but the odd one is sapphire.just for interesst i have a 2.0 litre OHC (not DOHC)

Reply to
anton