Ford Taurus Transmission

I have a 92 Taurus wagon and the transmission slips. It will not move from a standstill. Lucky I was parked on a hill and at 15mph the transmission works fine. I read some posts and one in particular cought my intrest.

snip> adjusted the TV linkage. It is a touchy adjustment though (millimeters matter, for it adjusts tranny pressure).

Can someone explain this touchy adjustment or give me some reason why the trany will not move when at a complete stop but works fine once I'm going 15mph.

I was lucky to get the vehicle home as there were two stop signs that gave me enough visual to go through them.

Thanks Blivic

Reply to
blivic

I don't *think* you have a Throttle Valve cable/linkage. I'm pretty sure that the last year for the mechanically controlled transmission in the Taurus was 1991, and that 1992 and newer have electronic transmission controls. Incidentally, the early electronic transmissions were not very reliable. If you have one of those, you have had better than average life out of it.

Here's how you can tell if you have a TV cable or not. The TV cable runs from the intake throttle butterfly down to the transmission. A TV cable controls the internal pressure of the transmisssion. When you increase the throttle position, it increases the transmission pressure; when you let off the throttle it decreases internal pressure. This is used to control upshifts and downshifts, and to keep the clutches engaged. The biggest problem arises if the cable breaks or gets disconnected at either end. In such a case, driving the car will quickly ruin the transmission. What happens is that there is insufficent internal pressure to keep the clutches engaged. They slip a lot and burn up in no time.

Look to see if you have a cable running between the intake and the trans, and let me know. If you find one, check to make sure it's still properly attached on both ends.

CJB

Reply to
CJB