96 Taurus DOHC - Intermittent Starting Problem

I have a 96 Ford Taurus with the 3.0 DOHC Engine. When it runs, it runs great. However, sometimes it won't start. It will crank and crank and crank, but never fire. Eventually, sometimes after a few minutes of cranking (crank for a while, cool for a while), it will start, while sometimes it may take 15 minutes of attempts, followed by a cooling off period (it and me), followed by more attempts, sometimes taking several hours. Sometimes it has low fuel, others fuel is OK. It has happened during summer and during winter, including today. There is never a fault code. Today when it happened, I cranked it for about 30 seconds and it wouldn't start, so I rested it for about 30 seconds and tried again. After about 15 seconds, it had a muffled misfire and a couple seconds later it started and ran fine. I have checked fuel pressure when it would not start and it was within specified limits. Any ideas what could cause this issue?

Reply to
Steve J