Ford to Police: get lost!

On a related note, I came across an article in the Blue Oval News, same subject, tonight. 350,000 police units, 20 years, 14 police deaths due to the rear-end collision fires. There was also an incident recently where a female officer was inside on of the CV units and was rear-ended at ~100mph. She survived because the cruiser had the new plastic shield surrounding the fuel tank... Free for the police, $150 for you to buy and install.

Also a collaboration with reps from the aerospace industry for installing fire supression systems as another safety measure.

Reply to
Jinxter

Here we go again, more BS in the NG's about the CV. The gas tank is, technically, behind the rear-end but it is ABOVE the axle. The fire suppression system will be offered as an option. During those same years you elude to, more officers died on frontal collisions and more officers died on bicycle patrol as well. Police work is dangerous. The NHTSA investigation into the CV resulted it a finding that the CV was not a hazard and in fact far exceed the federal standard for rear collisions. Just more Ford bashing by shark lawyers looking for a way around state workmen's compensation laws.

mike hunt

Reply to
MajorDomo

I hope that I didn't present that wrong... I'm completely behind Ford on this one. The stats just don't begin to prove the unsafe claim! That was also the intent of the article - how can a car this safe be unsafe?!

Reply to
Jinxter

So what you're saying is it was WRONG of Ford to offer the shield for the gas tanks?

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

I am a Deputy Sheriff and if I had my way every police force in the country would be driving Crown vic's. Its the best car I have ever driven... great handling, incredible power and even really surprising in snow. The only thing I would ever change is the braking. As far as stopping in high speed situations they are good but could be better. Wouldnt trade my crown vic for any other police vehicle... Well ok Maybe a Hummer.. heh heh

Reply to
Knight

AMEN, brother!

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

Not even a Grand Marquis or a Town car?

...hehe just kiddin' man I like those too, and I'm not even a law enforcement. Where I live I think almost all the local police cars are Crown Vics. I think maybe some of the slightly older ones might be chevy caprice.

Reply to
Robotnik

A Hummer? You did mean one with the interceptor package right? Otherwise you couldn't catch up to a Chevette!

John

Reply to
jriegle

A modified SVT Focus (automatic, HD battery) is what you really need. Much better handling, braking, fuel economy and better in snow than the Crown Vic. Keep a few CVs around for transports and such. Of course you weren't looking for a rational solution - were you?

Reply to
Zip Disk

Do the cruisers come with ABS? I just got an '02 Town Car with ABS & I'm not sure yet if I like it. I've had it kick in when hitting the brakes hard on rough pavement & it's really disconcerting so far.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Professional Shop Rat: 14,114 days in a GM plant.

David Starr

Too light.. they'd never be able to "PIT" all those hoopties all the criminals are driving..

Reply to
Zex0s

The HD battery is for the radio.

Reply to
Zip Disk

And? That has nothing to do with the light weight of the Contour in general..

Chuck

Reply to
Zex0s

abs is for people that cant drive.

Reply to
Paul L

We're discussing the SVT Focus where vehicle dynamics, including weight, result in excellent handling, fuel efficiency and more than enough "spunk" for the task at hand. Most any tuner can piece together something that'll easily out run a CV or anything else in a typical police stable. Radio's where made for situations like this. While on the subject, I think regular, non-packing citizens should not need to worry about 4 ton CVs, etc. careening down the highway at supra_legal speeds because the operator thinks someone deserves a ticket of one sort or another. No need for it and it's just plain dangerous for everyone involved, especially innocents. Hell, it's not unusual to see these joy riding CV pilots (term used very loosely) chasing well endowed motorcycles on public streets where pedestrians, including children, frequent. Absolutely ridiculous and it's NOT what they're being paid for. So, yes, the modified SVT Focus that I suggested is indeed entirely suitable to the task at hand.

Reply to
Zip Disk

4 Tons???? Even Excursions don't weigh 4 tons.

Crown Victoria - 4057 lb - i.e., 2.029 ton (US short ton) Focus SVT 2 Dr - 2750 lb - i.e., 1.375 ton (US short ton)

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Exactly. My Rodeo tips the scales at 3900+lbs, and that's considered a "midsize" SUV.. my Taurus is about 3600+lbs and thats a midsize car..

Chuck

Reply to
Zex0s

Yes, that should've been 2 tons.

Reply to
Zip Disk

Well you wouldnt catch me dead in a Focus and it wouldnt be suitable for Police use....Far too small and if you have ever seen the front seat area of a cruiser you would understand that there is no way you could fit in all the equip. radio's and stuff. Not to mention if I am in a pursuit I sure as hell dont want to be in a tiny car.... I want atleast a little protection. Not to mention the room in the back seat for transporting subjects. I agree pursuits are not always the best way to deal with things but then again your not out there. Look closer into the subject before you get too anal about pursuits alright? I understand your view...just dont agree. Trust me we dont like putting our lives on the line for these idiots but sometimes you have to.

Reply to
Knight

well what are they being paid to do????? no one gets chased unless they dont stop... if they go faster then the car behind them has to go faster... it seems that you are saying that its OK to let the well endowed M/C to go flying by when they want and just let them be?????? and dont say they would not go fast if they were not chased... i have seen about 20 M/C that were on the interstate flying by like they were in rocket ships and there was no chase going on, just these idiots(mostly kids under 25 or so) who were riding ninja bikes........

Reply to
jim