Forever Warranty

I have been hearing these television commercials from a local Ford dealership that is promising new & used vehicles that have powertrain's warranted forever. Since automobiles don't last forever & wear out sooner or later what's the catch on this ?

Reply to
Shawn

automobiles

1) It is not truly a warranty. It's an insurance policy. The insurance company pays as little as it can. For example, if something inside the engine breaks, they will allow the garage only to replace what is absolutely necessary. For example, if one rob bearing in the engine goes bad, they will only pay to replace that rob bearing. 2) If you don't meet the maintenance requirements, the warranty will be invalid. They maintenance requirements may include that all work is done at the dealer. 3) Often, the insurance policy is not transferable, meaning, if you sell the car, the new owner doesn't get the insurance policy.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote

roD. As in "connecting rod".

Reply to
TheSpellingPolice

I am sure it is a warranty against defects, not a warranty against things wearing out. So if you "wear out" you engine, they won't replace it. If a cover part fails becasue of a defect, they will cover it. You need to ask for a copy of the warranty and read it carefully.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Since automobiles

$50.00 oil filters don't entice me at all.

Reply to
Shawn-News

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Get a copy of the Chrysler warranty that will give you an idea of what one needs to do to keep those types of so called "warranties" in effect. It is like the free "tires for life" warranty you will not like to bear the costs required.

Proper maintenance can add years to the life and thousands miles to a vehicle. For example fleets other than rental car companies keep their vehicles, like all of the other tools used in their business, for the term required by federal corporate deprecation laws. In the case of vehicles it is five years or 300K WOF.

The keep a vehicle in a safe dependable operating condition for five year or

300k, one must perform the preventive maintenance necessarily to discover and correct developing problems before a breakdown or further damage can result that will let the vehicle sitting alongside the road.

For the average owner to do that, it becomes too expensive. The average owner is better off putting his money into a new or at least newer vehicle, with less mileage needing fewer repairs over the same time period. A good rule of thumb is never spend more than one third of the value of the vehicle on a repair, get rid of it.

Reply to
Mike hunt

Actually, the requirement was that the owner return the car to a Dodge or Chrysler dealer once every five years for an inspection. Chrysler's warranty is not offered on 2009 MY cars and trucks.

I have to disagree here, Mike. In every maintenance manual, there is a schedule of inspections and needed maintenance. The cost of doing this maintenance (not the huge list of unneeded stuff pushed by many dealers) and repair the things that break is usually less then the increased insurance that comes with a new vehicle, the cost of financing the vehicle, and the cost of depreciation of a new vehicle. Even Click and Clack, those two engineers from Boston who have their "Car Talk" radio show, say that it is almost always cheaper to keep and older vehicle than to buy a new one.

Gee, if it cost more than 1/3 of my car to fill the tank, I should get rid of it?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Like I said if it is too good to be true it is. The Ford dealerships offered warranty and Chryslers warranty, like all warranties with the exception for the first 12/12, covers only defects in material and workmanship. Normal wear and adjustments as well as owner neglect are never covered by ANY warranty, regardless of what some Toyota loyalists may choose to believe. If one reads the fine print you will discover such things as the owner is required to have done all of the preventive maintenance and must repair or replace worn parts with Chrysler parts, preferably at a Chrysler dealership to keep the warranty in effect

Chryslers warranty is not transferable because Chrysler knows that the average new vehicle buyer replaces their vehicle in three or four years with

45K to 60K on the clock and only a scant small percentage keeps a vehicle they bought new for longer than seven years and 110K.

You are entitle to you own opinion on when to replace ones vehicle, but my nearly sixty years in all three sides of the business tells me otherwise. Those that suggest it is cheaper to keep a vehicle till it dies never calculate the "Cost," when it comes to replacing their vehicle. If indeed it was cheaper it still is not convenient to have ones only vehicle in the shop being repaired.

Why would anybody pay $1,500 to repair a tranny, >> If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Get a copy of the Chrysler

Reply to
Mike hunt

While it is required by Chrysler that the owners maintain their vehicles, there is no requirement to use parts from Chrysler or Chrysler dealers (or, for that matter, a garage - if they can maintain their vehicles themselves, that should be fine).

Also, because having a lifetime powertrain warranty doesn't add a lot of resale value to a vehicle and costumers won't be concerned that it isn't transferable.

Thanks for telling me I am welcome to my own opinion.

Who said it is cheaper to keep a vehicle until it dies? Not I. Another factor that I didn't mention is that the safety equipment on newer vehicles makes older vehicles obsolete. This is another reason to get rid of older vehicles.

The value of a vehicle is more than the price one would get from selling the vehicle. If the vehicle is well-maintained, there is a good chance that the vehicle will go another year or two without requiring a major repair. During that year or two, owner will be saving money, because the insurance will be considerably cheaper (especially if the owner dropped collusion coverage).

Just as you are. At least they actually fix cars for a living.

A lot more than the opinion of a guy who said that Chrysler required that people use Chrysler parts to maintain their vehicles when the Chrysler's FAQ clearly states otherwise (the URL of the FAQ is in my last post) and one who argued that the VIN means something it doesn't despite the total lack of verifiable evidence.

Just as I make mistakes, they do too. That's life. But they know far more than you about cars in general and maintaining older cars in particular.

Plus, they have shown that they are able to understand new material

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Like I said you can believe whom ever, or whatever you choose, I could not care less. When it comes to "fixing" cars, not only have a fixed cars, I built race cars and built a company that fixed and maintained thousands for over ten years, get real.

As for me I replace my vehicles every two years and I own an old car collection as well, therefore I know the true costs in both cases. ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

At the rate gasoline prices are going, it won't be long before your statement becomes true.

Reply to
Shawn

I'll bet our friend Jeff can TRIPLE the value of his car by filling the tank LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt