Toyota Outsells Ford again

Toyota outsold Ford in the US again in December, 2006. Ford sold 224,770 vehicles, down 10.7% from the same month last year. But Toyota Sold 228,433 vehicles, up 16.6% from last year. This is the third month that Ford was outsold by Toyota.

All reports I have read suggest that Toyota will outsell Ford this year in the US, as well, making Toyota the country's #2 automaker.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

And when I finally find that SuperDuty V-10 I've been looking for, this post will make me do what????

Most of us will buy those items that we want.... and not those items that "everyone else" is buying...

Reply to
Jim Warman

How does that make them the #2 automaker? They don't make most of those in the US. I would buy that they are #2 in

SALES

but that isn't the same. I suppose if I have to explain it to you that you still wouldn't understand.

Reply to
Scott

Ford held off Toyota as number 2 again, Ford sells 231,900 light vehicles with Toyotas coming in at 228,322...ford success is based mostly on the increased sale of cars

Reply to
walt peifer

We know you want to believe that but it is not factual, your source is not quite accurate. Toyota did outsell Ford in July and November of 2006 by around 10,000, but Ford sold 231,900 vehicles in December and Toyota sold

228,322, according to the US Department of Commerce. For the year 2006 GM and Ford outsold ALL import brands. GM Ford and Chrysler sold nearly ten million vehicles and all of the imports combined less than 7 million

Commerce Departments Final sales figures for 2006

GM 4.5 million Ford 3 million Toyota 2.5 million Chrysler 2.4 million Honda 1.4 million Nissan 1 million the remainder sold less than 1 million

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I think you should read the actual results rather than reading the pre-announcement speculation in the press. It is also depends on what you mean by "Ford" and what you mean by "Toyota". If you mean Ford, Linolcn, Mercury, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Vovlvo (but not Mazda) versus Toyota, Scion, and Lexus, then "Toyota" (228,322 vehicles sold in December) did not out sell "Ford" (233,621 vehicles sold in December). If you strictly mean the Ford Brand, versus the Toyota Brand, then "Ford" had an even larger lead (Lexus kills Lincoln + Mercury).

And if you look further you might notice that not everything is wonderful at BIG T. Toyota recalled a record number of vehicles in 2006 (actually more than Ford - but you never hear that in the press), The Scion brand is in free fall, with all model showing drastic sales decereases in December (over a 20% decrease for the xB), the new Tundra (the we really mean it this time - "full size Tundra" ) is late, the new Tundra plant cost millions more than budgeted, and the new new Tundra is already getting panned by truck lovers (too little too late - a bad copy of the new Silverado is what I am hearing). And even Avalon sales were down compared to last December. Even the Ford Fusion is getting better reviews than the all new Camry. Maybe Toyota will catch GM next year or the year after. BUT, Most of Toyota's new found sales were Camry's. When all the blue haired old ladies have bought a new Camry, who will keep the momentum going? Sooner or later people will tired of the dullest most over hyped car on the planet. OK, second dullest - nothing can be as dull as a Corolla.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

My figures came from Ward's Auto after they were announced by the automakers. I don't know why they differ from the figures quoted in this thread.

Yet Corolla is one of the best-selling vehicle in history. I guess people in many countries think utility is more important than being sexy. In the US, for example, where it outsells the fusion.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You're correct. Wards Automotive appears to have the numbers wrong. The number of Fords sold above is the same as the number reported by Ford in their press release for numbers of vehicles sold.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

holy shit....there are about 300 million people in the U.S. And we are buying probably over 15 million cars a year?????? hmmm.

Reply to
bobar3425

According to Ward's Automotive, around 16,500,000 cars and light trucks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It was more like 16.5 million in 2006, down from almost 18 million in 2004

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Try again. Down from about 16,900,000.

What's your source? My source could be wrong.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I believe you are referring to 2005. 2004 was the highest year on record The only reliable source is the US Commerce Departments site

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How many US Commerce Departments are there?

Could you please provide a URL for this site?

I was not referring to 2005. I saw that 2004 was the highest year on record. Had you learned not to toppost, you would easily see that I said about

16,900,000. The actual number is 16,866,543, which is about 0.3% lower than the appoximate value I gave. That is why I used the adjective "about."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You are kidding, right LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

sure send your money overseas, maybe someday your children will work for a chinaman because you sold out

Reply to
mathusala_jones

I have a hard time understanding why Americans are so obsessed with Toyota. Every Toyota I've every driven, I always felt the car was in the wrong gear. Sluggish does not even begin to describe the performance. I thought I was in my college roomate's Buick LeSabre. The design is not exactly exciting. And as the latest J.D. Powers quality studies show, the quality gap between American and Japanese cars is much narrower. I can't stand Scions, I'm not big on the box design (same goes for the Honda Element).

Lexus is a different story. Even though the Toyota F1 team sucks big time, you can see and feel some of the F1 technology in the Lexus IS. At the end of the day, I will probably still buy a BMW, Audi, or Mercedes before a Lexus. I like the German design better. I've recently noticed that the Lexus IS uses an extremely large side mirror, almost stolen from the 4Runner parts bin. Minor detail, but it's all I see now when I see the IS.

I drive a Ford Fusion and glad I do. It's got AWD, the one gadget the Camry and Accord lack. But most of all, my car won't get lost in the crowd. I can blindly throw a rock in a parking lot and probably hit a Camry or Accord. You should still buy the car that best fits you, but give American cars a fair shake. I used to dismiss cars from Detroit too, but they've come a long way. Looking at the stuff on this years

2007 Detroit Auto Show, Detroit has more coming.

Reply to
kent.chiu