Found! "Cold-blooded" 95 Taurus 3.0 - wont idle cold

On NOv 21 I posted:

Quote:Odd complaint from the wife.

Since temp got down below fifty, complaining that car doesnt start and run properly when parked in lot at her work, it's on a slight incline but not much. And exposed to wind. Makes no diff which direction she parks car.

- but starting it in morning in driveway, has no problems. unquote

Well, the problem started manifesting yesterday in the driveway, as well. First time I had seen it.

When it happened again this AM, temp 20F, I had a bright idea.. after I got the engine to where it would run on is own, I got a piece of scrap same weight as a tack hammer and rapped the ISC valve.

Sure enough.. it must have had some gunk in the full retract/closed position, because the engine idle speed promptly picked up.

Now I know! And so do you ... I just LOVE rap and tap troubleshooting!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

thanks, i have the same problem with my 2000. now a quick question for ya, where is the ISC valve at? or can i randomly smack the engine with a hammer till it stops?

Reply to
subhuman137

LOL

That was a joke right?