Cold Blooded 2002

I've got a '75 2002 with a Weber and a water choke. The problem I'm having is with cold starting. So far I've always been able to get it started but I usually have to sit with my foot on the gas for about five minutes to keep it running. I pump it twice and then after a few tries it'll start but I usually have to keep my foot to the floor and even then it'll only get up to about 2000 RPM. Once it gets going past 2000 RPM, which happens like a switch has been flipped, it runs and idles just fine. I've checked to see if the choke is closing and as far as I can tell it is working. It is my understanding that with the water choke, you have to pump the pedal to the floor to engage it and then once the engine warms it shuts off. I've done a complete tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, oil and all filters. The only thing I haven't gotten to yet is timing, as I accidentally melted my gun on the dang header. However, once warm the engine runs like a top. This has got me somewhat baffled especially because it's not been THAT cold, 20's to 30's some mornings in Evergreen CO. Is this a common problem? Anyone have any ideas? I just think it's kinda strange, weren't these things designed to run in the Alps?!

Thanks,

Sean

Reply to
jeffcoduc

I would assume a 32/36 DGAV (or the mirror image 32/36 DFAV); correct? If not, you may have too much carb for a 2.0 liter engine here. It sounds as if your choke isn't working for some reason. I'd do some on-car checking first instead of sitting there inside hoping everything goes according to plan. There is (or was; I've had mine for some 20 years now) a good Haynes manual on Weber carbs. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate (nor did I, at the time) to buy that manual and to rebuild the carb just to be sure. However, the choke system is straightforward enough that you shouldn't need a full rebuild. If you simply follow what the manual tells you, you should be able to find the problem.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

I had this carb once, the auto never worked; I got parts from an older one that had a manual choke and was much happier after that as was the car.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I had the opposite experience. The water-temperature-sensing choke, properly plumbed and assembled, worked flawlessly.

-- C=2ER. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©