heater core... in over my head..

Haynes and Chilton manuals are hardly worth the paper they're printed on. Factory shop manuals are plentiful on E-bay for close to the price of the Haynes/Chilton books. This job can spank you pretty hard without the factory info, as you found out the hard way. It's really not too bad with the proper documentation. You may want to consider getting the factory manual to help with reassembly.

Reply to
Tom Adkins
90 tbird lx.. I've been putting long hours into this since monday, and the last 2 days I just haven't made progress at all.. pulled everything I could... steering column is now layed down to the floor.. every bolt I could find with my 9led flashlight is out, whether I think I'll ever get it back in or not.. any duct that could be in the way is out.. some dash peices seem impossible to remove completely, but I don't think that matters as the dash will pull out a good 8-10" from the firewall.. it's not in the way.. under the hood the 2 large round nuts are off of course, as are the hoses.. I dremel-chopped the AC lines 1" from the firewall (don't worry enviromentalists, there wasn't a drop of R12 or anything left in there anyway).. I removed every bolt I could find on any side of the heater box.. my dash is now a jigsaw puzzle.. if I hadn't just spent another 250 on parts (body and mechanical) this thing would be in the scrap yard at this point.. my fingers look like I got into a fight with a cat.. I can wiggle the whole heater box 1" or so in any direction, but there seems to be something somewhere around the drain area holding it from the back,even though I can't find any more bolts on the outside of the firewall.. the drain valve doesn't appear removable from outside.. or inside.. where is this hidden bolt/screw/snap/superglue? give me another day trying to get this one stinkin part out and I'll be releasing the e-brake just to see how far it rolls.. I'll probably never figure out how to get hte dash back together now anyway.. and no, I don't seem to be able to find anyone competent to come help..

just as out of money as patience, Brian

Reply to
Dark1

I can't think of any reason why they would.....

That's because of one bad decision after another.... now that you've started the job no one with half a brain is likely to finish it for you. Bob

Reply to
Bob

"Dark1" wrote

  1. Disconnect the blower motor wire harness from the resistor and motor lead.
*25. Working under the hood, remove the THREE nuts retaining the heater assembly to the firewall. (Did you miss one, or is there really only 2?)
  1. In the passenger compartment, remove the screw attaching the heater assembly support bracket to the cowl top panel.
  2. Remove the one screw retaining the bracket below the heater assembly to the dash panel.
  3. Carefully pull the heater assembly away from the dash panel and remove the assembly from vehicle.
Reply to
MasterBlaster

kentsfield "MasterBlaster" > the

thank you, very, very much for this post.. I had searched the autozone site, but I guess I did it wrong, because I couldn't find the procedure there.. My Haynes manual (I'll never buy another) clearly said 2 nuts.. WRONG! after reading your post, I scoped around extra hard, and peeled back a nasty little bracket mounting the AC accumulator.. and surprise! well hidden under the same bolt that held that bracket... another nut, just like the other 2! impossible to spot or remove without unmounting the accumulator.. I am in your debt friend. Brian

Reply to
Dark1

would never ask for help putting that jigsaw puzzle back together.. just in finding what was holding that box in place.. the puzzle is my problem..

true enough, but as stated above.. didn't want anyone to finish it (sure would be nice, but I'd never lay that task on anyone.. but I still don't see a bad decision anywhere, because I learned something new.. and now I will know just how it's done..

Reply to
Dark1

ok, so I underestimated the size of that heater unit a bit, the dash definetly has to come all the way off... but I'm ecstatic that it's free from the firewall!;)

Reply to
Dark1