Heater core won't fit

DH and I have gotten the old heater core out of our '94 Grand Am (by the way for interested parties it's right smack dab in the middle behind that beloved floor console--not passenger side like most vehicles). Anyway, things are going pretty good, get it out, get the new one, go to put it in and the dang thing won't fit through the holes in the firewall. Three people have tried getting it in and it's crazy. The factory was the core with a molded plastic bottom with hard plastic hoses coming off of it (all in one piece). The new one is 100% aluminum made the same way--all one piece. No matter which way we turn it the dang thing won't go back through those holes. In hopes of clarifying, it lines up okay, just seems too big for those blasted holes. Anyone ever have this happen and if so what did you do about it? I'm thinking I sure do like $21 for heater core from Auto Zone rather than $50 an hour at dealer plus $70 for geniune GM parts. Any thoughts or suggestions or help is appreciated. Thanks.

DJGordon

Reply to
djgordon

Oh, just one other thing to clarify, this is absolutely the right heater core for my particular car.

DJGordon

Reply to
djgordon

The pipes go through foam rubber which seals the steel firewall holes. Perhaps the edges of one or more pipes are hanging on the foam rubber. You could make caps for the pipes or cover the ends in duct tape. BTW, next time get a copper core. The Al ones only last a year or two. The Cu ones are only a little more expensive and will last years.

Reply to
« Paul »