Help: 98 Taurus tranny: AXOD aka AX4S question

1998 Ford Taurus, 3.0L V6, automatic, 167K miles

The tranny has a slow shift from 1st to 2ond. Research showed that the AXOD on the pan is the same as AX4S. Looking for a tranny manual and rebuild kit, I only found ref to AXOD.

Question: can I transplant a AXOD tranny from an earlier Taurus/Sable/Lincoln into the model 1998 year car? Say from a 1992?

TIA Bill

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

Not something you want to do. The AX4S of 1998 is much superior to the AXOD-E (AX4S) of 1992. 91-92 is the worst time period for these transmissions, because the electronic version of the AXOD was new then.

CJ

Taurus/Sable/Lincoln

Reply to
CJBrown

Far as i know, 91 and 92 also had a different plug on the trannie from the computer. You also need to know if your problem is electrical or the trannie. The computer tells it when to shift. It may not be the trannie. A good trannie shop with a shafer shifter test kit or such should be able to tell. An AXOD is a hydraulically shifted trannie used in 1990 and earlier. AXODE was the 1991+ electronically shifted variant.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Thanks for the replys. I threw the question out here as a quick and dirty because I am new to late model Fords and don't know what ca be interchanged.

I am go>

Reply to
Bill