hitch mounting - Ford Focus

I'm not actually going to mount a hitch, but I need to know what they fasten to under the car, specifically on my 2002 Focus. My guess is that you drill holes in the frame to match a hole pattern on the mounting pieces that come in a hitch package. I won't be buying a hitch so I won't know how they do it, or what are the best places to drill holes. I want to bolt members underneath the car on both front and back that I can slip a bar or pipe into that I can use as tie-down points. These will be points for tying ropes coming down from a roof rack. I don't want to go drilling holes and later find out there was a much better place to do it. I will appreciate your suggestions. Maybe someone can refer me to a diagram on the internet.

Thanks. Bill S.

Reply to
Mr. Correct

Check out the focus news group maybe someone can help you. alt.autos.ford.focus.

Reply to
ledpeddle

Hitches from the popular manufacturers use the existing holes in the sides of what can loosely be called frames. You can't miss them, two oval holes on each side.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

OK. Thanks for the info.