hitch question

I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Thanks Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Greetings,

Admittedly it is unusual. Probably some rookie welder at the plant was more interested in getting his beads straight than paying attention to how the parts were lined up in the jig.

I don't see any issue with using it like it is, just as long as you have the keeper or lock on the bottom and the bend of the pin at the top. This way if the keeper drops off then the pin will still stay in due to gravity.

I always had a problem with the horizontal mounted pin on my receiver because both ends got in the way of the holes for the safety chains. I don't know if there are any regulations concerning this, but I have seen verticle pins on Class I receivers that have a flat drawbar instead using square tubing like those on Class II and III's.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Thanks for the reponse, I've since looked at the factory drawings and the hole is definitely wrong. I'd guess you're right, somebody got it in the jig wrong.

Two problems with using it as-is, can't fit a pin in from above, so I'd have to use a pin with the swiveling "keep" on the end and insert from below, which isn't really a problem since I planned to use one of those anyway (already bought one). Though it makes me a bit nervouse about the possibility of the pin falling out...

The second and more serious problem is that the ball mounts that fit into the receiver are all drilled horizontally. I'd have to drill them out myself, don't think it would hurt the structural integrity much, but it'd be a bitch to drill a 5/8" hole through an inch of steel using my el-cheapo benchtop drill press. :-)

I've emailed the company I bought it from, I expect they'll be send>Greetings,

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Can you not just drill a hole in the proper place on the receiver?

-- Dave

Reply to
Slap

...., I've since looked at the factory drawings and

I would return the hitch and get one that was built properly. They should pay for the return shipping, if they don't then tell them you want to return it and get your money back. Few companies would prefer to save the shipping and lose the sale. If you re-drill anything you will weaken the hitch. It is designed for a certain capacity any extra holes the capacity changes.

mark

Reply to
r_d

The stress points created by the vertically aligned holes will not affect the structural integrity of the hitch receiver, as a matter of fact, the receiver should be stiffer for vertical-up/down stresses. Drilling horizontally aligned holes will have an effect but should place it within the original specs for the receiver (1-1/4") and the maximum tongue weights involved.

Do not use the vertically aligned holes because of the danger of the hitch pin falling out -- this is the primary reason they are normally used in the horizontal position.

Wait for a replacement hitch receiver for peace of mind.

Franko

somebody got it

from above, so

end and insert