Information Gleaned from Domestic Content Labels

I notice you did not answer why Nissan has a '1' on their cars and trucks, yet came to the US long after Toyota, but want me to answer . Those Ford products that have and '4' and '5' do not have enough US content to warrant a '1' The interiors, grills, and many other lower volume parts are made in Canada, for the other versions of the Ford models, and do not count as US content.

The problem is you are confusing the NAP label with US content. The Mustangs in total have enough US content to warrant a '1.' The R&D, engineering, steel, rubber, glass, plastics, electronic etc all originated in the US, for one. I've told you guys a dozen time to search the US Commerce Department for the information you seek. That is what I did I after I contacted some of the people I knew at my former employer and they did not even know.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Just a sidenote: VINs that begin "1N" are used both for Toyota Corollas and Nissans like the Altima.

Reply to
Built_Well

Mike, it is a matter of belief.

It is a matter of evidence. And right now, there is a lot of evidence that contradicts your conjecture and none to support it.

How about supporting it with a URL? You said you have one. So just post it, and show I am wrong.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Because the SAE assigned Nissan a '1'. Why don't you ask them? If you search the SAE site, you can find the names of a few people who are responsible for the VIN numberings system.

You said that parts made in Canada don't count as US content for the VIN system. How about proving this? What is the URL of the site that describes how the 1, 4, and 5 are assigned? How about evidence that is independent of the VIN system that demonstrates that Ford gets more parts all Mercury SUVs from Canada, and even more all Lincolns? Notice I said all. All Mercury SUVs get a '4' and all LIncoln SUVs and Trucks get a '5'.

You said that R&D and engineer count. Were the Navigators engineered in Canada? How about the R&D? Was that different for the LIncolns than the Fords? I would think all the R&D was near Canada, just west of Detroit. But last I checked, Michigan was still part of the US.

You said you contacted a few people you know from your old job, and they did not know. Aren't they the people who claim told you this nonsense in the beginning? Aren't they the people you said sent you the URL in the first place?

So what you're saying is that you have absolutely no proof for this. And this system is mandated by someone (Commerce Depart?), yet there is no evidence of this on any newstory, any commerce department website, and no vehicle manufacturer.

Yet, all the first digits of each vehicle type (car, truck, SUV, truck - chasis only, etc.) seems to be set for each make? I mean, I haven't seen any Fords that begin 5F* or 4F*, they all begin 1F*. Wouldn't you think there was some variation? I mean Ford gets a lot of its parts for its Mustang from Mexico. And some parts from Canada, most likely. Don't you think at least some Mustangs or Fusions, Foci, or whatever would get a 4? And don't you think it is odd that Mercury and Lincoln use enough content to get a 1 for their cars, but Mercury gets a 4 for their trucks? And Mazda too? And Lincoln gets a 5? Why do you think that Mercury and Lincoln build their parts in Canada while Ford doesn't? And do you have any independent evidence that they do?

Get a clue man.

Reply to
Jeff

What standard of the Department of Commerce? Why is the Department of Commerce involved when the Department of Transportation is assigned the task of assigning VINs? (The Department of Transportation contracts this out the Socitety of Automotive Engineers.) Don't you think there would some documentation someplace? I mean we are talking about the VIN. This standard is not even hinted at on any web site I have seen, including the web site of the vehicle manufacturers, when they have the VIN info.

Gee, get a clue.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I have done my homework. I have found a lot that is inconsistant with your claim. That, plus a complete lack of evidence supporting your claim tells me that you claim is bogus.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Can you support this claim, too? I mean that there is a contract that requires 70% US content in the vehicles produced at NUMMI?

This ought to be good.

Jefff

Reply to
Jeff

Not all.

3FTHF36G7VMA62345 2FMDA5247YBA81967 2FAFP74W24X155966 3fahp31391r201444 3FAHP08136R231288 2fthf36g1tca41550 3FAHP39593R168048 2FAFP71W73X105325 & Some 1Z's:

1ZVHT80NX65154048

1ZVHT89S675315120 1ZVHT82H275257800 1ZVHT82HX75293606 1ZVFT80N855186518 1ZVFT82H265253445 1ZVFT80NX65107092

I couldn't find any w/ 5F or 4F.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

You are free to beleive whatever you choose. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Based on your logic, why do you think this plants Toyotas are different than all of its other plants that are 4 and 5? Search the UAW site, for the information you seek, WBMA.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I choose to believe what I have evidence for. I have no evidence that the first digit of the VIN means anything other than the ramblings of an old man.

So I believe that the VIN has nothing to do with content, only location of assembly.

You have been invited several times to support your claim. You can't or choose not to.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Again, the old man makes a claim he can't support.

Fact is, the VIN has nothing to do with content.

If I am wrong, prove it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You are free to believe whatever you chose but why did you not answer the question asked instead of asking one? I have told you were to look numerous times. You may bookmark ever site you visit. I do not

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yeah, you said to look in the Department of Commerce web site. I did. There is nothing about the domestic content and VINs there.

Tell us the URL where it is found.

The truth is that the only place it is found is in Mike's imagination.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Those that begin with 2 or 3 were built in Canada or Mexico.

I am not sure what the ones that begin with 1ZT are.

Reply to
Jeff

It should be in your history. Both Firefox and Internet Explorer have keep a history of all the sites you have visited. Of course, you would have actually have had to have found proof to back your claim for this to work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I know! I can't prove it, I didn't bookmark the URL, Search the FMC site, WBMA ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No for me. I use a laptop, via satellite to reach a server that is connect to the PTD.net ISP, that provides my connection to the NGs. My history, cookies etc are deleted automatically, when sign off. Emails sent to my mailbox on that server are automaticly deleted after 24 hours.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are more than welcome to google them, you know.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

There are no 1ZTs in the list. The 1ZVs are all Mustangs built at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant jointly owned by Ford and Mazda ( 1ZV = Automotive Alliance International (USA) Ford Passenger Car)

Here is a list of all the 2007 Ford WMI from

: VIN Code Vehicle Manufacturer Make Type

1F6 Detroit Chassis LLC, USA Ford Basic (Stripped) Chassis 1FA Ford Motor Company, USA Ford Passenger Car 1FB Ford Motor Company, USA Ford Bus 1FC Ford Motor Company, USA Ford Basic (Stripped) Chassis 1FD Ford Motor Company, USA Ford Incomplete Vehicle 1FM Ford Motor Company, USA Ford MPV* 1FT Ford Motor Company, USA Ford Truck (Completed Vehicle) 1L1 Ford Motor Company, USA Lincoln Incomplete Vehicle - Limousine 1LJ Ford Motor Company, USA Lincoln Incomplete Vehicle (Hearse) 1LN Ford Motor Company, USA Lincoln Passenger Car 1ME Ford Motor Company, USA Mercury Passenger Car 1MH Ford Motor Company, USA Mercury Incomplete Vehicle 1ZV Automotive Alliance International (USA) Ford Passenger Car 2FA Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd. Ford Passenger Car 2FD Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd. Ford Incomplete Vehicle 2FM Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd. Ford MPV 2FT Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd. Ford Truck (Completed Vehicle) 2LM Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd. Lincoln MPV 2ME Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd. Mercury Passenger Car 2MH Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd. Mercury Incomplete Vehicle 2MR Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd. Mercury MPV 3FA Ford Motor Company Mexico Ford Passenger Car 3FD Ford Motor Company Mexico Ford Incomplete Vehicle 3FT Ford Motor Company Mexico Ford Truck (Completed Vehicle) 3FN Blue Diamond Trucks S. De R. L. De C. V. Ford Truck (Completed Vehicle) 3FR Blue Diamond Trucks S. De R. L. De C. V. Ford Incomplete Vehicle 3LN Ford Motor Company, Mexico Lincoln Passenger Car 3ME Ford Motor Company, Mexico Mercury Passenger Car 4F2 Ford Motor Company, USA Mazda MPV 4F4 Ford Motor Company, USA Mazda Truck (Completed Vehicle) 4M2 Ford Motor Company, USA Mercury MPV 5L1 Ford Motor Company, USA Lincoln MPV - Limousine 5LM Ford Motor Company, USA Lincoln MPV 5LT Ford Motor Company, USA Lincoln Truck (Completed Vehicle)

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White