Insane Windstar Fixed

Well, this was one of the more interesting trouble shooting events I've had in a while.

Believe it or not, it was the alternator.... For some unknown reason, perhaps an indication of pure desperation, I disconnected the main wire to the alternator, and it ran perfect (asides from the battery light coming on)

All I can imagine is one of the rectifiers in the alternator went out six months ago, and the resulting 'noisy' output was confusing the poor computer..

With the new alternator she's running good again, but now there is a new problem. Rear brake sprung a leak somewhere on top of the gas tank. (Its always something.....)

Anyway, thanks again for the advice

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site) Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

Hello James....I've been following your threads concerning your Windstar and just wanted to say thanks for keeping the info coming. I too have a 95 Windstar giving me sort of the same troubles that you've had so I think I'll look into the alternator thing. I was just kind of sitting back and keeping up with the posts to see if you came up with a solution. And yeah, you're correct..... it's always something. However, at 130,000 miles I've been pretty lucky so far as nothing seriously high cost has broke........................................ yet ;) Anyway..... thanks...

Scott

Reply to
Guardian

An alternator is a 3 phase device. A good shop with a scope should have seen a abnormal waveform if it was defective.

Glad you found the problem. I will pray for your 3.8 and trannie ;)

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

================= Glad you got it fixed. That is one of those strange problems that can make you go mad and pull your hair out. You sure got lucky pulling the alt wire and trying it.....:)

Reply to
Scott M

What is really sad about this is I looked at the 5V with the O-scope, and didn't see any noise. I never thought of looking at the 12v side :0

(as the saying goes, its hard to get 'good' help!)

Trannie is next on the list, I have to drive around with the O/D turned off, else the O/D light start flashing, which probably isn't a good thing. Since I changed the trannie oil and filter today, I'm wagering that the trannie will die any moment now :)