Is my distributor in right?

Here's what I did.

I pulled the distributor and bought a new one (the pickup coil was bad and I decided to just replace the whole distributor). I screwed up what I was told. I was told to turn the engine till the timing pointer was lined up with the groove in the balancer wheel, and the #1 plug wire in line with the rotor. Then to mark the distributor housing where the rotor was pointing. I did all of this, except for one thing. I thought I had the #1 plug wire, but did not notice they were crossedin the loom, so I had the rotor pointing to the #7 wire instead.

I transferred my pencil mark from the old distributor to the new one and put the distributor in with the rotor pointing to the exact same place. I never turned the engine in between, except after the new distributor was already meshed in the gear, I had to turn the engine by hand to get the oil pump lined up. Then I returned the timing pointer back to the line and the rotor pointed toward the #7 wire again.

I am thinking I should be OK, but not sure?????

Will this work?

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

You'll know when you try to start it. rotate to 0 again

Mind the engine hits TDC twice a cycle. So the dist at 0' will either point to cyl 1 or 180deg out.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If it runs and you can set initial timing, it's OK. If it runs but you can't get to initial, you can advance or retard the distributor by a tooth.

If you can't get it started, put #1 at TDC compression and start over.

I had been wondering why you pulled the distributor to change the pickup coil....

Reply to
Rick

Thanks I am going to give it a try (to start it) today. I had a mechanic tell me the only way to change the pickup coil was to pull the distributor. I now question that, because I still had to remove the reluctor. I think I could have done it without removing the dist. although it could have been a pain to get that reluctor off. (Actually it was a pain to get the dist. apart anyhow, thats why I replaced the whole thing. At a difference of $20 I was not going to argue). I think I wasted 3 hours trying to get that gear off the bottom of the dist. Apparently a gear puller is needed.....

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Can be done with the distributor installed-the reluctor is held on by a roll pin that runs the length of it. Usually you can remove the reluctor with a couple of screwdrivers or a battery terminal puller. A few other clips and the pickup assembly comes right off....

Good luck with the rest of it

Reply to
Rick