Lincoln LS

Went by the auction shop the other day, they had a Lincoln LS. Color was a pastel green... looked bad, but i thought i'd check it out anyway...

Always really liked the looks of these cars and thought i might want to buy one...

how the hell does one work on the engine? theres nothing but plastic under this hood?!?!?@

Inside, they appear to be built somewhat better than a focus... but still pretty cheap, the seats were fair, the console, dash and door panels all felt pretty cheap....

i own a 2004 GMC pickup, 99 crown vic, wife has a 99 honda civic, and i have an 05 F150 for work, none of these seem cheap in assembly when compared to this Lincoln LS. Seemed like just a lot of sloppy manufacturing in this vehicle.

Reply to
Picasso

If I felt like you do about that LS, I would not buy that LS ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

I still like the looks of them, and I may not be giving the LS a fair shake... after all it is an auction car. It has 93,000KMS on it... (55k mi?) Few things about it that just shows that the previous owner maybe didn't take care of it... like many many scratches below the fuel fill spout... i still to this day can not figure out how people get so many scratches there?!?! NONE of my vehicles have more than 1 scratch there (not even the work truck and i maybe don't take the care in that i do with the other vehicles).

Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy new vehicles, but looking for a used one is very difficult, as people don't seem to take as good of care as I would for them.

Reply to
Picasso

Many years ago.... one of my customers sold a clapped out old F350 dually deck truck to another of my customers... Both of these are grown, adult men... The purchaser didn't bother asking me what I thought of the truck....

And then the whimpering started.... with me, inexplicably, trapped in the middle.

The seller explained it in a way I never could.... "If it was any forking good, do you think I'd be selling it?".

In a similar vein... I love brocolli (in spite of its side effects)... many don't. A fact hardly worth boring readers with.

You want cheap? Look inside a Volkswagen.... Gaudy and pretensious - the Hummer fills the bill.

As for buying new.... the first years depreciation is enough to curl your toes (my first brand new, never before previously owned car as $9000... last year I purchased a two year old Mustang convertible for my loving bride.... nearly $20G... OUCH!!).

Now... call me old fahioned...You folks can help this jaded old fool out. Nearly every forum I visit on the web has posts that include "my wife has a..." or my wife owns a....". Not really car related but are these people actually married or are they just associated until something different comes along?

My wife and I own many things.... those things that she uses most get "called" "her things". Those that I use most are considered "mine"... still with no clear boundaries regarding "ownership". Let's face it.... while our pooled earnings purchased my tablesaw.... and her sewing machine.... the end user is going to be declared the "owner".

But this overwhelming need to declare " I have a.." and "my wife has a..." makes me feel like marriage is viewed as an arrangement rather than a commitment. But I guess nearly 35 years will do that to you....

Sorry for the digreesion... but I have stuff to do around the house that I am trying to avoid....

Reply to
Jim Warman

The LS was a great car, one of the best Lincolns ever built. I owned four of them. The last year they were available I bought one just to keep at my home in Key West. I intend to keep until it dies or till I die even thought I generally buy a new vehicle every two years

If it were me I would look around for other used LS, if the LS is the car you want. There are plenty of them around with low mileage; I just saw a

2003 at a dealership, with only 23K, that looked like new.

Reply to
Mike hunt

a number of my friends have had LS's and they all liked them......personally, I think FoMoCo pulled the plug on them too soon (they're probably making twice as much on all the Mazda/Fusion/Zephyr/MKZs they're selling). main conplaint about the LS was it's just a tad too small inside......I understand we'll finally have a Lincoln version of the Five-Hundred/Taurus: that should be nice.

As with all recent cars as used cars: 100,000 miles is the magic number for a lot of maintenance.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

This seems to be a trend in the industry. My SO's RAV4 has most things ini the engine compartment under plastic covers. They aren't that hard to remove. What do you think you are going to have to work on? I owned a 2004 Thunderbird (same engine as the V8 LS), and never had the need to remove a cover.

Apparently you haven't riden in a Lexus ES350.

Back in 2000 when the LS was a new vehicle, my Mother was interested in one. We test drove one and I really liked it - BUT - my Mother thought it was too small. She bought a Grand Marquis instead. That was the only LS I actually drove, but I thought it was a fine vehicle. The

2004 Thunderbird I owned shared many items with the LS (suspension, drive train, instrument panel layout) and it was built in the same plant as the LS. I never felt it was cheaply constructed.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

In August of 1999 I was looking to replace my Lexus LS, it was a 1997 and my fourth Lexus V8. The Lexus dealer wanted a small fortune to put me in a

1999, the 2000 was not yet avaialble. He was charging me over MSRP and giving less than wholesale for my 97, I said no.

Just down the street was a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealer and a truck was unloading a car that caught my eye, I so I stopped. It was a 2000 LS V8. As asked to take it for a ride and they said that one needs to be checked out but we have another that you can drive.

I loved the car and drove it home for nearly 25K less than the Lexus dealer wanted from me to drive home the Lexus V8.

The Lincoln LS proved to be such a great reliable car that I bought a three more a 2002, 2004 and a 2005 as a second car to keep at my home in Key West. I traded the 2004 LS on a 2006 Lincoln Zephyr and then it on a 2008 MKZ. Nice cars priced right but not as great a car as the RWD LS.

When I bought the 2000 LS in 1999 I also bough a 1999 Mustang GT, for a just a few thousand more than I the 25K that I saved by not buying another Lexus. The FLM dealer treats me so well I have purchased five more Mustangs GT convertibles from him as well, a 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007 and I recently ordered a 2009.

One can buy a lot of fine automobiles today because they are all building great cars, the only difference I see is style, drive home price and how the dealership treats its customers. The FLM dealer takes care of me better than any with whom I have dealt and I give him my repeat business as a result.

Reply to
Mike hunt