Loud knocking

I am planning to buy this Ford Taurus 93, 3.8. There is loud (very loud) knocking coming from the engine. It seems to go away when engine idling or cruising but increases at higher revs. The exhaust fumes just look fine, no bad smell or smoke. The car runs fine, and looks normal other than this excessive knocking. Is this a rod bearing problem? Does the engine need to be rebuilt and that is the only way? Also if I keep driving it this way what could happen? Could it go for months or years just by making noise like that, or it will die on me in a short while? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
laguna

Run away!

Most likely had the blown head gasket syndrome.... and the bearings are all shot.

I'm assuming, though, that when you say 'knocking' it resembles tapping the exhaust manifold with a heavy hammer, or an even deeper sound - rather than a sound like the blade of a screwdriver tapping that manifold.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Not sure about the range of model years, but the transverse-mounted 3.8L V6 had a history of blowing head gaskets. If not caught in time, coolant got into the crankcase. Since coolant is not such a great lubricant, you know the rest of the story. May well be something entirely different, but assuming the worst, you can probably replace this engine with a reman for around $1500-$2000 if you have the tools and do the work yourself. Add a grand or so if someone else does the work. Subtract the total from the blue book price. Assuming that the result is positive, pay the difference (not before checking for transmission and other possible problems) and be happy...

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Dealer or private party? They give up any history on the car?

My guess is, if you look at the top end, it will look very clean. The headgasket was bad and replaced.(or will need to be) But the damage to the bottom end of the motor was already done. Its only a matter of time before it gets worse and shells if the bearings are out. A 93 is not worth a rebuilt motor. A used

3.8 is a crap shoot. Its a $200 car with that noise.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

You must be a glutton for punishment if you consider buying a 93' Taurus, which is not worth much anyway, with an existing engine knock. It would not be worth my trouble to take it for nothing. So how much is the guy going to pay you?

Reply to
Al Bundy

IMO; the BEST of the gen II taurii is the 95 GL with 3.0 engine and AX4N trans (also may be stamped "SHO").

I am EXTREMELY happy with ours!

"Al Bundy" wrote:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yea, but you are taking care of it. The poster is not tuned into cars. He's contemplating purchasing a 14 year old car with probably multiple problems. Yet he has somehow been astute enough to recognize a LOUD engine knock. More power to him. And I bet you can hear the car coming a block away. He's hoping beyond reason that someone here can tell him to go ahead and buy this $50 car and throw some Miricle Mud from the auto store in it and it will be fine for at least another 50,000 miles. If the poster thinks I'm making fun of him, I am. Now use the information to your advantage and walk away knowing you were blessed by checking.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Thanks folks for all the valuable answers.. The noise is coming directly from the top cover area (I guess it is called rocker arm cover). Exactly like tapping with a hammer. And it is very loud as you mentioned, you can hear it almost coming from the block. The rest of the car is very good condition, and it has 120,000 kms on it. It is a private party and selling it for $600 US. The owner said that he bought it from somebody else a few months ago and drove it around without any problem. The deceiving point is, driving it feels ok. Anyway, reading the posts here I have pretty much decided not to pay any more attention to the car. Thanks again..

Reply to
laguna

"It is a private party and selling it for $600 US. The owner

Well, that sounds like some key information. There are many bottom feeders in the used car business that buy broke or junk cars, fix them up minimally to get them to run, and then sell them on the curb or though small print advertisements. All of this doesn't have to be a fraud. But these guys are not your friends. If you don't know what your buying you will end up with junk. What do you expect for $500 or so anyway?

One key fact here is if the car is legally licensed and titled. If its NOT licensed (and i mean plate matches registrations matches car) and titled to the person selling it, you definitely dealing with one of these "curb sellers". Or the guys is selling it for "someone else".

Nothing wrong with a taurus. I have owned 4. If you got a older one your going to be fixing it periodically. But a 3.8 with noise like that is a ticking bomb. If in doubt, take it to a private mechanic before you buy it and get a opinion.

I have a dilemma of my own. Got my mother in laws low mileage 96 windstar that she was going to give us. It just started blowing white antifreeze smoke out the back and was shifting erratically. The motor has no noise, but there is no guarantee that if i sunk a pot of money redoing the heads that it would not end up like the car your looking at now.

Bob

The deceiving point is, driving it feels

Reply to
Bob Urz

No way to tell. I would assume that you will need to rebuild the engine soon if you buy the car. Unless you are prepared to spend and additonal $2-$3k for a major engine overhaul, I would run away from the car.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Take it to a third party mechanic and have it checked out. Odds are, he'll tell you it's hosed.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Run away.