Maintaining Finish - Minor Scratches

My old 90 Escort never got any attention w/ regard to paint because I knew if I polished it, would be faded again in a week or two.

Fast forward to 2005, new truck, new paint, better paint than what Ford used to use on the older vehicles. Most of the truck is black with a silver tone on the bottom.

What's the best way to handle minor scratches on new paint to make them go away? I have some ideas but don't want to experiment on my new F150.

When I mean minor I mean just so that you can see them in most light if you know where to look, not the kind you get from using the wrong kind of towel to dry.

Wash the area, use some fine rubbing compound and then some wax to seal the paint? I suppose the idea is to fill the scratches back in with paint, but rubbing compound removes paint, correct?

Seems like the state-of-the-art car wash around the corner from me has either bad equipment or crappy undocumented laborers.

Thanks

Reply to
sleepdog

I.Care

You use a very fine polish with a soft cloth. I would go to a store that sells auto paint and such and see what they have. Don't polish it more than you need to, just remove the slight hazy scratches youre talking about. You probably need to hand wash it, any mechanical wash with beater brushes and such is guaranteed to haze black paint.

Reply to
Scott