No Spark - Ford Pickup

I have a 1977 manual transmission ford pickup V8 that ran when I parked it last fall but had a curious problem going on then. Until it was warmed up (while idling or going down the road), the engine would occasionally die. It would immediately restart and continue on until it was well warmed up and then seemed to run okay. I thought it might be a choke problem but the choke appeared to be okay anytime I visually inspected it. I also changed the fuel filter but never have run a fuel pressure test on the pump to date.

It hasn't run all winter and when I tried to start it the other day, it wouldn't start - cranked great, just no fire. Since it didn't have any spark as I turned it over with a near grounded spark plug wire but did have power at the + side of the coil when the key was on (as shown on my test light), I replaced the coil hoping that might explain the intermittent problem I'd been having last year and correct the no starting problem. After changing the coil, I still no spark as I look for an ark with a plug wire near ground and the engine cranking so am wondering if something is wrong in the ignition module. I'd hoped to just find points and a condenser but not so, so my search continues.

Does anyone know how to check that module without having to throw some big bucks into a module replacement on this year of ford?

thanks very much for any help, John

Reply to
jcage

You said you have no spark, but are you SURE you have fuel? Take the air cleaner off and when you move the linkage back and forth (with the engine not running, obviously) a few times, it should be squirting fuel down the carb. Make sure that it does. Are you sure that a mouse/squirrel/rat hasn't chewed on your wiring under the hood? Inspect carefully. Use a $5 test light to trouble shoot if you have primary voltage where it should be. Google the subject to get some test areas. Back in the mid-70s, Ford ignition modules failed quite regularly. Buy the cheapest replacement one that you can find and plug it in to see if your engine starts. If it does, buy a NAME BRAND one from a reputable source and put the cheap one in your glove box as a spare. I haven't see the inside of one of these for 20 years, but the difference between a good one and a cheap one is like night and day. Your module might be the one where the parts man/woman asks what color the plastic square tab is on the module. Look on the back side to see the color. By '77 it's probably blue or yellow or it could be a double yellow also. If you truck is stock, it will be an aluminum cased module that probably bolts to the fenderwell. The heads of these bolts are accessible from the underside. Good luck.

Reply to
Kruse

Check the module ground. The module ground is the black wire that runs from the module to the distributor (one of three wires inside the distributor) it terminates at a screw inside the distributor. Make sure the contact at the screw is good, also make sure the contact between the distributor and the engine block is good, meaning, take the distributor out and wire brush everything clean.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Is your distributer turning? Put a test light from battery positive to the negative side of the coil and crank the engine, it should blink. If not, replace the module *and* pickup. HTH, Ben

Reply to
benteaches