on 3rd battery in 5 years.

'99 Taurus. Original battery died after 36 months. 2nd battery died after 26 months. 3rd battery went in today.

2nd battery showed 11.36 volts and wouldn't start the car. All the batterys had plenty of fluid in them and no corrosion around the terminals..

I had better luck with batterys when I lived in the cold climates.

Is there something I should check to see if there's a very slow drain on the battery?

"Save The Sync, Ban MOS"

Reply to
Eric Toline

More likely that your alternator is cooking them by overcharging. You could check its output.

Reply to
RustY ©

My taurus batteries seem to last about 3 years eric.

Buy the one with the longest replacement warranty.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

How do you check and how much is to much. I'm running into a similar problem with my 2000 Windstar. TIA

Buddah

Reply to
Richard Cox

Can you fill us in on what engine is in your Taurus, and whether or not you have that anti-theft alarm system. I have found that the 24V DOHC with anti-theft system does have a slow drain on the battery. Still, 36 months is a bit premature. To overcome that drain, I cut the right side off the battery tray and installed a Group 65 for the most CCA, and Reserve Capacity. If you had an original Motorcraft 36R BTX, take care that the fluid has never been low. Once the plates have been exposed, the battery starts to die at an accelerated rate, and have trouble holding a full charge. Personally, I feel the claim of the new breed of batteries being "Maintenance Free.." to be bogus, you still need to check them periodically, as well as the Group

36R claimed 130 minutes Reserve Capacity.
Reply to
V.B. Mercon

Really? My 2000 Duratec with antitheft, now 4 years old, has the original battery. Before Tuesday night, I'd let it sit under a cover for 6 weeks. It started right up in 15 degree temps.

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

First, check the warranty. These things are usually prorated (except the first few months, in which the battery maker will replace them for freee).

I think the problem is the voltage regulator. You can have your mechanic check it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Re: on 3rd battery in 5 years. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Jan 30, 2004, 6:32pm From: transmission@ snipped-for-privacy@fail.con (V.B.=A0Mercon)

Can you fill us in on what engine is in your Taurus, and whether or not you have that anti-theft alarm system.

Reply to
Eric Toline

My '99 Duratech is still running on the original battery and I live in Ontario. Minus 16 right now :-)) Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

====================== check it with a volt meter right on the battery with the engine running. It should be right around 14volts. If it is pushing 15 it could be overcharging causing your problem.

Reply to
Scott M

Re: on 3rd battery in 5 years. Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, Jan 31, 2004, 1:44am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@no.com (Scott=A0M) "Richard Cox"

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D check it with a volt meter right on the battery with the engine running. It should be right around 14volts. If it is pushing 15 it could be overcharging causing your problem.

Reply to
Eric Toline

Good for you both. My observation does not cover everyone. My personal 1998

24V. Duratech with anti-theft system still has the original battery Motorcraft BTX, though on its last leg. However others I have had to rescue have not fared so well. Those, I replaced with a mighty Grand Daddy Group 65, especially since the GP 65 cost less than the 36R, but has more Power(CCA) and Reserve. This has been great, especially for those people with additional accessories. The voltage that the original poster saw are within specs,..( "..Did that this morning on my battery eating '99 Duratec Taurus. With engine off, battery read 12.40 VDC. With engine on 14.41 VDC. We'll see how long this battery lasts. Eric.." ) which suggest the alternator and regulator are working fine.. I guess he needs a proper analysis of his electrical system, and we certainly can not do it from these remote locations in front of our PC.
Reply to
V.B. Mercon

I would also highly recommend the 65 series battery if it fits. They're potent, and any I've had have been extremely durable and long-lasting.

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

The Group 65 series battery will not fit directly. It is one inch longer than the Group 36R series battery, and about an inch lower in height. But that does not matter. You can cut open the left-side of the existing battery tray, or you might get a replacement tray from a 95 or older Taurus, or a generic tray. Naturally, you will need to rotate the battery 180 degree for the existing cables to work.( This is where the lower height of the GP 65 pays off..) Otherwise, replace the old cables with some good longer 6 Gauge cables, or better.

accessories.

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

overcharging

Tested it, battery holding around 12.3 and running it is pushing 14.7 Is that to much?

Buddah

Reply to
Richard Cox

Have all of these batteries been Exide? If so, I suggest going with a different brand if/when this one fails.

Years ago I worked in a K-mart and they sold Exides exclusively. Man did we ever get a bazillion of those things back as bad.

Sure they cost very little, but I wouldn't trust one in my car. I wonder if you're simply seeing normal Exide battery behavior.

Just my $0.02.

Best of luck to you with your new battery.

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

======================== ruel of thumb is 13.5 to 14.5 I think. 14.7 is on the high side(actually over) Test it with all the accessories off after it has run a while and see what it shows.

Reply to
Scott M

Tested with motor warm, running idle for 3-5 minutes with everything off, including interior lights, stays constant at 14.6-14.7.

Buddah

Reply to
Richard Cox
14.78V is where my alternator output is, has been since I started checking it. 1998 Taurus, same 24V DOHC engine. The chemistry of the "New Maintenance Free Batteries.." are not affected by the higher voltage. In fact most requires a higher voltage to properly keep the battery charged.

overcharging.

side(actually

Reply to
V.B. Mercon