Battery Drain XG350

This has been happening to my 2002 XG350 since i purchased it new. The original went dead 18 months and had to replaced with an "upgraded" one at the dealer. This "upgrade" one lasted about another 18 months. Then I purchased a $110.00 Sears Diehard which died just short of 1 year. This Sears battery being replaced was under warranty and didn't cost me any $$, due to the 3 year warranty. The small electrical test they do on the system said all was well after the new battery was install.

My question is, what could be causing such a drain on the batterys I've had over the years and has anyone experienced this problem themselves? Batteries in my past cars have lasted anywhere from 3-5 years....and I think I got 6 years out of one once. There are also NO battery lights showing on the dash. The battery light does go on at ignition lamp test, but goes out within a few seconds.

Thanx for any replies or ideas contibuted so I can take care of this situation.

Steve S.

Reply to
Steve S.

A couple of pieces of info. that may help.

*From what part of the country are you from? I just saw a map of the U.S. a few weeks ago, where it showed the expected life of a car battery. In the southern-most parts of the country, it is 2-3 years. In that case, you wouldn't be too far behind the curb. I guess that, even though we are in Winter, and know how hard Winter starts can be on batteries, that it is heat that truly reduces battery life, whether it is atmospheric heat, or engine compartment generated heat. That is why some car makers are moving the batteries to different locations, to get them away from that heat;

*There seems to have been a proliferation of batteries out there that aren't lasting as long anymore. I don't know if it is cost-cutting by the battery manufacturers (there are only a couple of companies that truly make batteries anymore, regardless of label), or what, but I am hearing about batteries not lasting too long more and more. It is entirely possible that you just got three poor batteries, and maybe the new DieHard will work out just fine. Also, I have heard about short battery life in more than a few Hyundais and Kias, even after the original battery is gone. Car or battery?? Who knows.

My suggestion to everyone is when the (origianal) batteries go bad, get a replacement with a long free warranty period (preferably three years).

For example, I have purchased a number of batteries from Sam's Club. Have NOT had good luck with them either (none has yet lasted three years), but with the free replacement warranties, I have paid very little for batteries over the years. It is just the nuisance of having them die and having to go up and get them replaced.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

You raise a couple of interesting points. First, it was not long ago that

60 to 72 and even 84 month batteries were readily available and truly lasted about that long. Maybe that was not good for the battery manufacturers that stood to sell less of them if they lasted a long time. I would not be surprised at all if the studies show that cars are sold often enough that the owner will not be making a claim for a 60 month battery after 36 months anyway, so offer the warranty as a sales tool, but cut costs and just get a few years from it. You know you will piss off a few people, but most people will be selling the car and never will know if the battery died. And we make more money so screw the customer.

I can see that Hyundai and Kia may go for a cheaper OEM battery up front, but I'd think the replacements should be as good or bad as any other brand. If the alternator keeps up, it should make little difference, unless the standby draw is more than other brands.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
B Crawford

Thank you all for replying.. It's interesting what B Crawford says about his/her idle XG. Mine sat still for a week (I was out of town here in San Diego). I use the automatic "lights on and off" feature most of the time. Are you saying that if this feature fails, the dash lights-up even when the engine is off? That might explain the batt. drain if I understand you correctly. Please explain a bit more. Thanks

Reply to
Steve S.

just for chuckles, why not place an ampmeter between one of the battery cables and its post....take a look for current draw with the ignition off.

Reply to
Darby OGill

I had a battery less than a year old short out on my Elantra & it took the alternator with it. IT"S just a gamble how long it will last. With the poliferation of electronics on new cars we are asking the battery to do ALOT of work

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Canadian models have daytime running lamps; your U.S. model doesn't. The issue the other poster was referring to was with the daytime running lamp module. Since you don't have one, you shouldn't have that issue.

I should note, however, that if system voltage gets low enough, your car may think you've turned on the lamps and actually turn them on. But if your system voltage is that low, you've already got a problem.

Reply to
hyundaitech

You should have a current draw of 50mA or less. 100mA or more is cause for immediate concern.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I appreciate everyones input. And thanx for the clarification hyundaitech about the daytime running lights. I'll take the car into the shop for an electrical system check and see what's-up. Thank you all for the input.

Reply to
Steve S