One less Cobra...

Two ejected, killed as antique car hits pole Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel

January 23, 2005

Two people were killed Saturday night when their antique roadster struck a pole, ejecting them both from the convertible.

The pair died in the 4200 block of Polk Street just after 8 p.m., according to Hollywood police spokesman Capt. Tony Rode.

The two were not immediately identified, but Rode said the driver was a middle-age Broward County man. The female passenger was not yet identified late Saturday night.

Witnesses told police they saw the 1966 Ford Cobra driving west at a high rate of speed. The car hit the center median and went airborne briefly before the $200,000 sports car hit a concrete utility pole. The pair were thrown and pronounced dead at the scene.

Rode said no other cars were involved.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @

Grover C. McCoury III

Don't ya just LOVE when papers call something "Antique"? "Antique" means 100 years or over.......the 1966 Cobra is a "Classic" You would think a god damn journalist would know this.......

Reply to
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

(...)

Actually, antique means "a manufactured product (as an automobile) from an earlier period." (from

(There are other definitions, as well, like in customs, where it does mean more than 100 years old.)

And, any car over 25 years old qualifies as an "antique."

Apparently, this "god damn journalist" knew this and used the proper terminology.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That would be incorrect when refering to cars. In most states you can get an antique plate at 25 years. Cars and furniture are quite different.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I could think of a LOT of worse ways to go.............

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Bob Urz opined in news:41f3dfba$1_1@127.0.0.1:

Why am I flashing on a "Miami Vice" scene... or something from Elmore Leonard?

Wanna bet the female passenger is less than thirty?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It was probably a kit car. No real cobra owner in thier right mind would drive an original like that except on the race track. I can see a rich fellow going out for a cruise in his original and getting hit by some ass talking on a cell phone but solo? No way!

Reply to
Mark C.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:48:45 GMT, Backyard Mechanic wrote something wonderfully witty:

And the driver had Viagria in his system. Might have went to shift and grabbed the wrong stick.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:22:53 GMT, "DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well Doc as I am sure many will tell you, you head is in your hinny on this one. Actually on many different levels you are wrong. First go look up the dictionary definition of the word. Then go look up the usage of the word as it applies to automobiles. You'll find that you aren't right on any level.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I tried getting my classic plates for my 72 Chevy P/U in 91 and I was informed I had to wait until 1993, as Oklahoma stamps a car a classic at 20 years.

I am not sure what constitutes getting antique status, but I know it isn't

100 years and it isn't 25 years.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I'm willing to bet this was not a true classic but a replica, although an expensive replica ( kit car ). What the death of two people involved in a car crash has to do with this NG is beyond me.

Reply to
pick one

"2.3Sleeper" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

For most places a antique car is 30 years and classic is 20. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Kevin Bottorff wrote in news:Xns95E79CEA3DC83kevynetinsnet@167.142.225.136:

OH CRAP!!!!!!! I didn`t even check for cross posting. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Actually.. You're only HALF right.

Main Entry: an·tique Pronunciation: (")an-'tEk Function: noun

1 : a relic or object of ancient times 2 a : a work of art, piece of furniture, or decorative object made at an earlier period and according to various customs laws at least 100 years ago b : a manufactured product (as an automobile) from an earlier period

Kate

| > January 23, 2005 | >

| > Two people were killed Saturday night when their antique roadster struck | > a pole, ejecting them both from the convertible. | | Don't ya just LOVE when papers call something "Antique"? | "Antique" means 100 years or over.......the 1966 Cobra is a "Classic" | You would think a god damn journalist would know this....... | | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Ore even... less than 18 since they somehow could not identify her....

| >> Two ejected, killed as antique car hits pole | >> Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel | >>

| >> January 23, 2005 | >>

| >> Two people were killed Saturday night when their antique roadster struck | >> a pole, ejecting them both from the convertible. | >>

| >> The two were not immediately identified, but Rode said the driver was a | >> middle-age Broward County man. The female passenger was not yet | >> identified late Saturday night. | >>

| > I could think of a LOT of worse ways to go............. | >

| | | Why am I flashing on a "Miami Vice" scene... or something from Elmore | Leonard? | | Wanna bet the female passenger is less than thirty? | | -- | - Yes, I'm a crusty old geezer curmudgeon.. deal with it! -

Reply to
SVTKate

Or SHE grabbed his stick and when he closed his eyes and said Ahhhh.. he lost it.

| >> I could think of a LOT of worse ways to go............. | >>

| >Why am I flashing on a "Miami Vice" scene... or something from Elmore | >Leonard? | >

| >Wanna bet the female passenger is less than thirty? | >

| And the driver had Viagria in his system. Might have went to shift | and grabbed the wrong stick. | -- | "Either kill me or take me as I am, | because I'll be damned if I ever change..." | | The Marquis de Sade

Reply to
SVTKate

I'm a '66 model too, and I prefer "Classic".

Reply to
Nosey

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:52:04 -0600, "2.3Sleeper" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Every State is a tad different. Read any of the following to prove it to yourself.

The list goes on & on.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:20:20 -0500, "pick one" wrote something wonderfully witty:

It wasn't the death, it was vehicle involved.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Even now, there just ain't that many antique cars if we apply your status quo..... 20 to 25 years is the norm in any regions I have seen. However... at my age, your perception does make me feel better...

Reply to
Jim Warman