decklid hits bumper, ..

hey guys,I see this alot and wonder what the fix is, if there is one. My 65 bug rear decklid hits the bumper when its opened. seems this is fairly common. im sure this wasnt the way they rolled off the lot in germany, so why now? are the aftermarket bumpers differant? the brackets ? anyway, whats the cure ? i was thinking bout drilling the slot that the bolts go thru out so that the bracket will be sticking out further, will this work? what about some sort of spacers on the bumper itself between the bumper and the bracket? lemme know whatcha think, THANX !!

Reply to
Bradshawfan

Do you have the right brackets? is your bumper the right one? have you been hit?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

yah, i have the right brackets and bumper..all aftermarket of course so i know that stuff usually doesnt fit right no not been hit.

Reply to
Bradshawfan

That's how the bolt holes are already. Strongly ovalled. Loosen the bolts a little, and yank the bumper out further. Might be just enough room to clear the decklid.

If not, then proceed with your plan.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Funny, but the quick fix I have often observed is to simply knock the top flange of the bumper down in the center. Didn't say it was a great idea.

Unfortunately, there are few old Bugs that haven't been rear-ended at least a little (like mine), especially nowadays when people expect taillights the size of a small television.

40 horses ain't much these days and hard to escape the snarling SUV's.

Buzzy '62 RHD Bug

Jan Anderss> Bradshawfan wrote:

Reply to
BuZzY

Are the spacers between the bumper and brackets?,there kind of U shaped

I'm going to put a second set on my rear bumper because I think its an aftermarket bumper problem when it comes to fit.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Reply to
Ilambert

When i started to put my bumper back on, the reardecklid tipped the bumper too, the solution in my case was to loosen the four nuts (bolds) and lower the bumper in it's slots instead of sticking them out further. I also used rubbers from the bottom to not damage my bumper (as they are not the quality they used to be). this also gave me a 2to3 mm clearance.

luck

"Bradshawfan" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m05.aol.com...

Reply to
Bug59

yeah... mine has a little clearance problem too....

all thanx to a careless weenie in a KIA

see other post 66 hit.

but im getting it fixed.... : )

--

Reply to

I had a 65 which got the same problem when someone contact parked against my rear bumper, As a matter of fact any tap used to do it. A long bar put behind the bumper and wedged againt the garage floor lip worked for me. Even with a piece of wood to prtect the bumper. A few tugs against the long bar pulled it out perfectly. I have heard this is what dealerships used to do to solve the problem. Eric 62 Ghia cab 68 Bug cab

Reply to
Stutzsr

You need these

Dan