Painting a Sable Mirror Cap

Hello all,

I'm replacing a mirror cap on my wifes '01 Sable. The replacement part was supposed to come "all primered and ready to paint", and when I opened it up, it was just a flat black plastic with a slightly rough surface.

My question is: Do I need to primer the black plastic before painting, or is it ready to paint as is?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee

You need a paint made for plastic or primer first with a primer made for plastic. Do yourself a favor and take it to a body shop and have it done right. If you paint it with a can it will look like crap in about a year of weather.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Why do you say that? If I primered the cap, put on 2-3 coats of paint, and

2 coats of clear-coat, why would that wear off so soon?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee

If you wet sand between coats, clean everything well and often, and color sand and polish your clear coat it should work. (Assuming you are using the proper basecoat clear coat paint). The spray bomb paints available at parts stores are close to garbage as far as longevity.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

It won't "wear off" per say, but the sun will fade and flake it. If someone knows of a paint in a can that can stand up to the sun please let me know. Maybe you could find a good clear with UV protection....????? I've tried Dupli-color. I found an awesome match but it just won't last.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman