Please recommend a replacement part for me

Hi All

I have Ford Taurus CL. it has the 3.0 Liter FI 12 valve Engine I want to replace the Ignition wire set with 115,000 miles on it Ive searched the web and found so many replacement Vendors. What is closest to the original part and will last as long as the original? What does Ford Recommend?

Thanks Larry

Reply to
Larry P

Motorcraft, get it at rockauto.com. Don't be cheap.

Reply to
sleepdog

Rockauto is a ripoff, to to NAPA and get a good custom set good for life, if not they replace them for free. You can look here but you probably have a local store nearby. Cost about 50 dollars. Ask for a quality set, not the junk they may sell also.

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r

fords eat plug wires for lunch....get a good set. you should be ok with something with a lifetime warantee. I have had good luck (so far) with Autozone's lifetimes. And very good luck with AC Delco wires. The best will probably be Motorcraft but they are VERY expensive, at least they are from the dealer. Since you didn't mention it, get plugs too and gap them at the low end of the scale.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Gerald,

I typically don't participate in such debates, but can you quote the bad experience with Rockauto that made you declare them a 'ripoff'? The few times that I used them I got perfect and speedy service, at a price well below anybody else's, on or off line. You have to know what you need and whether you prefer the off-brand cheepo or the real thing -- which is true for any purchase... Unfortunately, that's not my experience with the Napa franchises around here. Once in a while they will have a tool, a fastener, or some fancy-shaped radiator hose in stock that the others don't, but most of the time it's exactly the same stuff, at much higher cost. Yes, they will special-order some grossly overpriced special tool for me, but I prefer shopping for those myself, on line. The main difference seems to be the attitude: the clueless kids at the other stores know they are clueless, so they make up for it with courtesy and going the extra mile in whatever way they can. The 'parts expert' at the local Napa, on the other hand, always gives me the feeling that I am not really wanted there... Perhaps it's just my experience. Interesting what others think.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Happy Traveler,

I recently did a major rebuild to my suspension system, Brake system. The latter I'll admit I still have some problems with but I will get them resolved. I did allot of research on the web and made mistakes along the way. What I did learn was that "Rockauto" does have a really nice looking catalog. The prices are anything but good. Their expensive! I agree they have quality parts, no problem there. I bought parts from

they are not just a rip off they are liars! I won't go into the whole story but if you are interested in ordering from these people check the better business bureau (BBB)
first! If you would like more information on these guys I will supply it for you, they are known under more then one name. I can look up the names for anyone that is interested.

I'll say this much, I didn't order from

only because they are expensive. Yes if you would like to stay 100% original equipment buy all means send you money to them. No lifetime guaranties. No nothing other then trusting the OEM... Rockauto is know to be cheaper then Ford, yes they are but not much and there are many more parts out there that are OEM equivalent or better. the set of wires I got from NAPA was as good or better and guaranteed for life. Does Rock offer this? Looking to keep peoples money in their pockets... Listen I'm not A NAPA spokes person... I have no need to be... I bought a quality product and was very happy with it. I'm adding a small picture of the wires here.

I'll send better pictures.. I have just started with that... Does this motor look 13 years old? I'm about to add the Accel disturbutor cap and rotor this weekend... The NAPA set you see here is custom, if fits perfectly like origanal and it has the 8mm size and it has the ohm qualities for less. Lifetime, anything goes wrong bring it in and get a new set. What can you ask for, are you going to get this at Rockauto? What NAPA doesn't have at their site they will get from a local warehouse in a reasonable amount of time. More a share system beteween different suppliers locally if I'm correct... Sell, Sell, Sell but you as the consumer, get the best price... Kind of like what the oil companies have going on right now... NAPA about 40 dollars for what you are looking for. As good OR better than original.

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r

Additionally to my last comment...

was THE best place to buy a part! They know what they are doing and go out of there way to help if you would like to buy online... Done deal...

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r

As a rule, I, too, don't usually get into this sort of debate, but I have ordered numerous parts from Rockauto for my Fords and my girl friend's Sebring, and found all parts to be of good quality, and less expensive than NAPA or a number of the other parts stores. I compared prices and brands before buying, and for all but one part, settled on Rockauto (that was a brake light switch for the Sebring, cheap enough here in town). The NAPA people here seem to be ex-mechanics and the like and really seem to know their stuff. That aside, they KNOW they know more than you (whether they do or not), and are very condescending and aloof. Not just one or two of them, but almost all of them that I have dealt with over the past 10-15 years. As far as AutoZone and Advance go, I found it is better to have a part number before going in; that way they may be able to find it in stock. One the best local parts stores is CarQuest- they know what they're doing, offer quality parts at a reasonable price (not necessarily the lowest), and act like they appreciate your business without falling all over you. Just my 2 cent's worth based on my experiences with parts stores.

SC Tom

"Happy Traveler" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
SC Tom

Thanks all for the posting I did order from a warehouse online and they were the poorest service web site ever ( i won t mention them) They couildnt fill my order after 20 days and now I need to look for another place to buy from. I have seen Motorcraft, Standard and others at the $50 range for wires. I dont think thats expensive. Im afraid to buy from Strauss as they carry some of the cheapest parts out there.

But thanks to all I must continue my research.

Larry

Reply to
Larry P

NGK they are numbered now so newbies cant hook em up wrong

Reply to
fireater

I've used NGK wires but it's been quite a while. IIRC they were good quality. Luckily this is a 3.0 Vulcan, they aren't super particular about wires like some other Ford engines. Use any good quality plug wire, my preference is Motorcraft.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Why so?

Reply to