'HELP' Engine Electrical Problem 1990 Ford Taurus

I have a 1990 ford taurus 3.0 liter. I had to change the alternator. The eye on the wire(black & Orange) that connects onto the alternator had melted, which shorted out the alternator. Everything worked just fine after I changed the part. Someone told me I had to change the fuseable link because it would happen again and maybe cause a fire. As I was checking the wires just before and after the fuseable link with a test light to see if in fact the fuseable link was bad. As I was pushing the tester into the wire I touched the starter relay and made an arc. I got into the car and tried to start it and I had no power at all. Just like if there was no battery in it. The battery is charged, the fuseable links are good, the coil is good, I'm at a loss. Would the ignition module cause this problem? I have no lights no power what so ever. If it was the ignition switch I believe I would have lights. I did try to start the car by jumping the starter relay. The car turned over but would not start. I think that is because of the electric fuel pump. Can some one shed any light on this problem Thanks in advance, Val

Reply to
Sparky

Check your fuses and then check the fusible links. The ignition module does not cause a "no power" problem. If your car did not start but turned over, then it could possibly be the ignition module. It sounds like you fried the fusible link. It may look okay and you might have 12 volts on either side of the fusible link but you have to ohm out the wire to make sure. If you don't have headlights then I'd be willing to bet it's a main fuse or main fusible link. I can't remember what our taurus had..

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

There are several fuse link wires. You cooked one of them.

Mike

Sparky wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain